UK ford diesel engines

Hi all
could anyone give me some info on the ford diesel engine range from about 1992 on, as in how reliable they are. I know they are not the most powerful
engines, nor are they the most technologicaly advanced or quietest on the market. But what I'd like to know is, are they practically bullit proof or do you need to pray to the god of engines for a week before you even think of looking at it just to dip the oil, without it laying down sick for the day. what would be the problem areas they would suffer from.
Thanks Robert