UK Ford Escort 1998 (Zetec-E) - won't start when hot

I have a 1998 Ford Escort with 1.6L 16V Zetec-E engine. The car starts fine when cold and runs smoothly without any problems, but as soon as the car is switched off it won't start again until it's cold - maybe a
few hours or a day later and then it will fire up on the first turn of the key. The engine turns over, but it's like there's no fuel getting through (although it's fine when it does run). The car is OK idling when hot, it just doesn't like being stopped and restarted.
I am fairly mechanically minded but not a car mechanic and I do not want to poke around aimlessly so are there any 'classic' issues worth checking first before I pass the car to a garage mechanic?
I have only started to look at the problem and so far I've only covered the initial basics: HT leads and plugs + the air filter have been checked.