UK Ford Fiesta (R Reg) PATS Transponder Key Info Req

I wonder if anyone could help me clear up a few questions I have regarding ford fiesta PATS/Transponder keys.

I recently purchased a ford fiesta (uk) that was originally registered in December 1997. It came with two black transponder keys with a red chip embedded into the keyfob. I want to get a third key, but I have been told I should have had a red master key to go with these two black keys.

Someone else has told me that these two black keys make up a master key and that if I buy a blank red chip transponder key and get it cut I can program it using the cars own ignition system. They also said that ford stopped supplying a red master key about the time that this car was registered.

I called a local locksmith and he said that if the keys I have are chipped with RED, then there should be a RED master key. He also said that if these two black keys (with red chip) had not been suplied with a RED master key, they would have been BLUE chipped and not RED at all.

So basically I am looking for the cheapest way to get a third fully working key (not just one that will open the doors).....

Were RED chipped keys always supplied with a red master key? Is it possible to clone RED chipped keys in the ignition without a master (if you already have two working RED chipped keys)? When were RED chipped keys introduced? When were BLUE chipped keys introduced? Do I assume correctly that RED keys are PATS1, and BLUE keys are PATS2?

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help clear this query up. Thanks a lot

Reply to
Roger The Cabin Boy