Unable to locate PCV on 89 Towncar 5.0L EFI

Well I have spent two hours now searching online, in manuals and under the hood....with no results. I found a part blowup in the shop manual that shows it to be mounted in the rear of the lower intake manifold. Well I layed out flat in the engine compartment got my reading glasses on and stuck my head as close to the firewall as I could and couldn't see it. Used flashlight and mirror too. Holey Moley! Do I have to take the dang upper intake manifold off just to get the PCV replaced? Anyone lese every sucessfully get a PCV replaced on this engine/model?

Any help would be much appreciated. Bob

Reply to
Robert L. Wells

Thomas Moats

Thank you Thomas. I looked again and found it...should I say recognized it. What was throwing me off was the replacement part I got, a Fram FV198, doesn't look like the Ford part at all. Fram part has two barbed ports(with a small plug I assumed for plugging the smaller port) that are radially configured, one small diameter and one larger. The Ford part has one large barb port that is in an axial position. Crap no wonder I didn't recognize it. The hose is stiff/cramped enough where its not going to fit on the fram part well so I guess I will have to find another aftermarket PCV that matches the Ford configuration or go to the Ford dealer. The grommet which the PCV fits into is crappily made with a thin rubber coating (falling part) where it fits into the manifold so I am going to have to replace that too. Might as well replace the screen element that sits below the grommet while I'm in there too...

Thanks again, Bob

Reply to
Robert L. Wells

Robert I just went through this same experience with my '91 Grand Marquis. If you have an O'Reilly Auto Parts store in your area you can pick up a Motorcraft PCV valve there and it will work perfectly. I don't remember the number now, (pcv98b I think) but you can do a search on their web site and come up with the number. One other tip, I don't know if your car has the screen filter underneath the pcv valve or not, but if so, you might want to go ahead and replace that at the same time. The one on my car was really cruddy. I've read they get clogged and because of excessive pressure build up can result in an oil leak. I don't know if that's true or not, but I do know I would define mine as being clogged and let me tell you, it's a bear to deal with it. What worked best for me was to take a 6" wood screw, attach that to the end of one of these screw drivers that has the metal clips on the end of the blade to hold the screw on it, then run that down into the mesh screen and screw it in a few turns, until it gets a good bite. Then you can take some needle nose pliers, or whatever else you can work down in there to get ahold of the screw and pull the screw and the screen out with that. It's a little tricky getting the new one in too. I took the longest needle nose pliers I have and eased the new screen into the hole, then took a long handled screw driver and placed the handle end on top of the screen and pushed the new screen into place. I was sore for two days after laying out across the engine. And the dang bi-focals don't do much in your favor in that spot either! Good luck, I hope you are able to find what you need. AutoZone might be an alternative too. I checked with Ford on getting the parts there and my local dealer said he would have to order them. I think it was going to be about $20 all told there. I wound up paying about $9 at O'Reilly seems like. Be sure you let us know how you come out.

Mac

"Robert L. Wells" wrote in message news:M0tpc.8$iq.5@fed1read07...

Reply to
Mac

Mac, Well I ended up going to the Ford dealer and the PCV valve, grommet and screen filter cost me 27 with tax. I grabbed the old screen filter with a pair of long thin needle nose and it came out easy. New one went in easily once I got grabbed it at the proper insertion angle with the needle nose. I guess my filter was not quite as crudded up as yours so it came out easier. The filter was a bit restricted as compared to the new one. Engine idles/accelerates smoother now but I also put in a bottle of Lucas top cylinder lubricant/tune-up in a bottle/injector cleaner so I don't know which had more effect. Any one ever use this stuff? As for being sore after laying out across the engine the only thing that is sore is Bob Jr.

Thanks for your help, Bob

Reply to
Robert L. Wells

Glad to hear you were successful! I haven't tried the Lucas products. I usually pour a bottle of STP injecter cleaner in once in a while, but I'm not so sure it helps anything.

Mac

Reply to
Mac