Using Synthetic Oil in 2005 Ford Escape First Time

Page 2 of 2
msterspy wrote:

Lots of people have opinions. There is very little actual verifiable proof. I go both ways. For my Expedition I change oil every 3000 miles using Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil. For my Saturn Vue, I change oil based on the car's oil life monitor (well, I try to, but I rarely wait long enough). Since the indicator has never indicated that I need an oil change in less than 6000 miles, I have been using Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic Motor Oil. For my farm truck (13 year old F15), I change the oil twice a year using conventional 5W30 motor oil (for the last 4 years, the yearly mileage has not exceeded 4000 miles). For my 2004 Thunderbird, I am not sure what I am going to do. I changed the oil once at around 4000 miles and used Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil. I may go to Mobil 1 and 5000 mile oil changes - just not sure yet.

If you are not changing the viscosity of the oil, don't expect to be able to detect any changes. In theory the synthetic may provide a slight improvement, but it will be so slight (less than 1/2 percent) that you will never be able to detect it. For two of my previous vehicles ('97 Expedition, '01 Mustang), I experimented with synthetic oil. I used synthetic oil of the recommended viscosity for a significant period of time (40 K in the Expedition, 10K in the Mustang) and compared the fuel mileage to equivalent period when I ran conventional oil. I kept complete gas mileage records. There was no detectable difference in mileage between conventional (or in the case of the Mustang, Motorcraft synthetic blend) oil and Mobil 1 (of the proper viscosity).
One more thing that I found out when researching this subject - For any oil to be labeled Energy Conserving, it has to provide a mileage increase in a reference engine (a Ford 4.6L) compared to a reference oil The reference oil is a SAE 5W-30 PAO Synthetic Oil. See http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Bulletin//DomesticMarketing/General/pdf/g29a.pdf .
Ed

What's the recommended change interval? I've heard that SULEV vehicles don't dirty the oil much, allowing extended change intervals. My 2003 Honda Civic is SULEV, and has an oil change interval of 10,000 miles. At 8,000, the oil is still translucent golden brown. My 2005 Escape Hybrid SULEV is also 10,000 miles.
You can't extend the oil change intervals during the warranty period, but some folks feel that the wrranty intervals are too long for normal oil. I suppose you could hedge by going full length, but using synth to make yourself feel better.
--
---

what does 38.8-122.5 mean? -jk

latitutde and longitude. There should be a comma, like 38.8,-122.5 I think it helps to give a geographical reference in an international forum, to let people know where you are, so they can interpret comments about a particular model of Ford.
<http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype dress&formtypedress&latlongtypecimal&latitude8.8&longitude=-122.5>
or
<http://local.google.com/local?sc=1&hl=en&q=pizza&near8.8%2C-122.5&btnG=Google+Search&sl=1
--