Using Voltmeter to Get Trouble Codes?

Does anyone know what setting you should put your voltmeter on ? Is it on OHM, ACV, or DCV ? Also, what numbers: 500, 250, or 10? The repair manual
is unclear? Furthermore, my number 2 pin does not correspond with the one in the manual or on the web site: (http://www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html ) So, is there a way to determine the real number 2 and number 4 pins ? ( I have a 1990 Ford Taurus, 3.8 L V6 automatic). The number 2 pin is marked, but it is not the same one on the diagram of the manual or of the web site.
Thanks,
Nino
Put it on DCV 10 or 100. Are you looking at the plug from the front?

Also, are you looking at the right plug under the hood?

Hey Scott, it says EECS right on the box that houses the wires. Is that the right one? It's under the hood

That must be it. hook it up like the web link showed. Even if #2 is confusing you. Why did you say #2 is different on yours? Just do it like the picture. See how the pyramid shaped plug is a little offset? Follow directions on the site. Do the KOER test first.
Scott M wrote:

--
Sean Hawkes

KOER....
The volt meter works OK. You need to count the needle swings. However, I've found counting the check engine light blinks works just as well and is less of a hassle then hooking up the meter.

Bill, How do I get the check engine light to blink the codes for me?

"Nino.Nospam" wrote

http://www3.telus.net/neatcrap/eec4.gif
Excellent picture of how to place the jumper. The check engine light will flash the codes twice, have a longer pause, then flash the next code twice. Write down the codes and look them up in the book.