USMC

Happy Birthday to the Marine Corps and all you Marines out there

Mike Hunter

Reply to
Mike Hunter

How does this relate to Fords?

Reply to
Andy

I don't know the exact percentage, but many Marines drive Fords.

Bill

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

Yup, my son, recently returned from Iraq, drives a red 2003 F150 with a V6 and 5 speed that he loves almost as much as his M16.

Hu-Rah !

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

I thought they drove mostly Humvees in Iraq, although they also have M16s. It is hards to drive an M16, though.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

So much owed by so many to so few!

Happy Devil-Dog Day!

Reply to
Tom The Great

For one, Henry Ford made thousands of them (JEEPS) during WWII and sold them to the government at cost. Many of which were used by the USMC ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

is hards to drive an M16, though.

He doesnt love Humvees. He has had to pull a stuck Humvee out of the sand with his F150 at his base in California.

You dont drive an M16, you sleep with it !

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn

on base they have an assortment of vehicles they buy in bulk, we had a GMC Safari and some little pickup with back seats, a toyota or something.

Reply to
petebert

i hope the m16 doesn't lack power like the v6 if he's in iraq! ;P

Reply to
Picasso

Sorry about the confusing reply. Unfortunately, one of us is too old to figure out how to post in-line.

Henry Ford didn't make any Jeeps. Rather, his company's employees made Jeeps. I doubt Ford worked on the assembly line.

In addition, Edsel Ford was president of the company during most of WWII. He stopped being president when he died.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

That's OK, based on what generally post we did not expect you to know what your were talking about. Ford Motor Company was the only privately held motor vehicle manufacture. That is why the owner Henry Ford could sell Jeeps, at cost, to help the war effort. Stock companies did not have that option.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

So it was a privately-held company. He still wasn't on the assembly line.

And it was not the only company that elected not to make money off the war production. IBM, which was not a privately held company, elected not to make money off war production. IBM donated the nominal 1% profit to a fund to support war widows and orphans. IBM made various hardware for the war, including rifles and other munitions. And the Thomas Watson's kids served in WWII. Thomas J. Watson, Jr., was a Lt. Col. in the Army Air Force, flying brass around Russia and Dick Watson was a Major in the Army (Thomas, Jr., was also president of IBM after his dad died and ambassador to the USSR under Jimmy Carter).

I would be surprised to learn that Ford did not benefit from military production by having assembly lines that were later used for peace-time auto manufacturing, just as IBM and others did.

Both IBM and Ford were making stuff for both sides of the war, too. Some with slave labor.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff