Value of a 1940 Ford Coupe?

Hi all!
A recently divorced friend of mine is looking to sell his 1940 Ford. I believe it is a "Special Coupe" if that makes any sense.
It was a project car for him way back. He put a 327 Chevy in it.
Later, he decided he wanted to tub it and make it into a drag car. He never got around to doing that, though.
Currently it has no engine or trans and no rear end.
I know these things are all about the condition of each vehicle, but I was hoping to get a ballpark figure for him.
The car is all original steel with the exception of the two front fenders which are fiberglass repros.
There are no dents or dings and no rust. It has a very nice candy apple red paint job that was so popular back in the early 80's when he'd spin around town in it.
The interior is nice, but I've no idea as to whether or not it is all original. Also, the car is located near Chicago in case that may make a difference.
So, the big question: Any ideas about what this car may be worth? If not, can anyone point me in the direction of a source that might help?
I expect he'll end up finding an antique auto appraiser locally to look at the car before he decides on a price, but I thought I'd ask here anyway.
Many, many thanks for any help on this!!