Vehicle Trade

I am just looking from some opinions from Crown Vic owners. I've just been offered a trade for my 1991 3.0L V6 Ranger, high mileage, decent condition with a bit of surface rust, for a 1994 Crown Victoria that is fully loaded,

4.6L and looks to be in very good condition. It also has high mileage. The owner presently has it for sale with an asking price of $2600. If I were to sell my truck right now, I think I could probably get $2000 out of it.

A couple of days ago I posted a message looking for opinions on the Taurus/Sable wagon as we are possibly looking to buy a decent family vehicle. In my opinion, the Crown Vic should also fit the bill quite well for hauling the family, as well as the possibility of towing a trailer. I have driven Crown Vics in the past as this is one of the only vehicles my grandfather would own/drive.

Does this sound like a fair trade? Opinions needed, thanks.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

Without seeing the vehicles, I'd say it's a good trade. The CVs are very reliable, sturdy vehicles. They're comfortable to drive and the fuel mileage can be a plesant surprise. It's not Honda Civic economical, but for a big V-8 car it's pretty economical. Some common problems in that era are bad valve guide seals at high miles ($3-400), plugged EGR ports in the intake (easy fix), and they eat cheap plug wires for lunch (use good wires @$90). Inspect the steering and suspension, as worn ball joints are common around 100K. Also look closely at the tranny fluid. There aren't a lot of trans problems, but at high mileage anything could happen. Personally, I'd go for it. That Ranger can get pretty expensive at 15 years and lots of miles.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

When I had originally posted, I did not have the chance to take the Crown Victoria out for a test drive, nor did the owner get much of a look at my truck. So I called him back Saturday and we met up Sunday night. Sunday afternoon my wife and I went over (he had said he'd be home all day, but wasn't), so I had a real good chance to look the car over meticulously. No leaks, bit of surface rust on both frame rails, the floor was just like new, only one small spot in the trunk. The paint was in great condition, considering the age. The car is tan in color, so it is hard to notice any fading. There are only two small touch ups on the rear door that I could find.

So I called him again later that night and went back over in the evening. I left the keys in my truck and he gave me the keys to the Crown Vic for a test drive. Started fine, shifted smoothly, I noticed the A/C was working, but not quite as cold as you would expect. This guy lives on the top of a small mountain, so I had a real good chance to test the brakes on the way down. Brakes were good, steering was nice and tight and it tracked straight. The suspension felt smooth, and I had also given it a four corner bounce that afternoon, and the suspension worked well.

The only two things I noticed on the way back to his house were, 1) the CEL was on, and 2) the rear passenger power window was not working, from either switch, front or rear. All other power options and equipment worked great, including the power seat. Other than that, I was very impressed with it. Once he returned from his test drive with my truck, I asked him if he knew why the CEL was on, he said he didn't know, but he has only owned this car a few months and never drove it the whole time. As a side note, when he bought it from the auction, he drove it at least 40 to 50 kms on the highway and never mentioned anything about problems. The other thing that I didn't notice that he told me about, was the fuel line was leaking and spraying onto the frame in the back. He said he was going to fix this himself, whether we traded or not.

Now as far as my truck, which he plans to use as a work truck, he did have a few small concerns. His first and biggest concern was the clutch, he thought it may be gettting worn out because of how the pedal felt, and the whining of the transmission, which I have come to believe is a Mazda transmission trait. I told him that the transmission had been rebuilt 4 years ago and that while it was out, the mechanic working on it told me the clutch was in good condition, and there was no need to replace it. I also told him that the pedal likely felt funny because this is a hydraulic and not a cable clutch. He agreed that I was probably right. Aside from that, since the tranny was rebuilt, I have only put 50,000 kms on the truck, so I don't believe that the clutch is wore as much as he thought. His second concern was he thought that the truck was vibrating a bit. I told him that it does because I think I have only had the summer tires/wheels balanced twice since I put new tires on it 4 years ago. But it is also due for new tires, so this was not a big concern. The front end is tight, the only thing I have replaced is the pitman arm.

So after we both nitpicked each others vehicles, we both agreed that it was still a fair trade and he told me to give him a few days to decide. I said that was fine and now I am just waiting for him to call me and let me know. I've checked a few prices concerning the rear window, doesn't look too expensive to fix, and while I was at it, checked the KBB values of each vehicle. Considering his car is in better shape than my truck body wise, I think they are both evenly valued. Similar mileage as well, plus both vehicles are inspected for at least 9-10 months.

We'll see how it goes. Hopefully I'll have a new vehicle to post about at the end of the week :-) Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

Currently owning a crown vic, 93 4.6L and a 3.0L 02 ranger, if someone came to me and said i'll trade you a 99 CV for your ranger, i would jump on that like a fat kid on a smartie.

These friggin rangers are the worst curse of a truck I have ever owned. I wouldn't wish a ranger upon my worst enemy. I bought the ranger to replace an f150... it didn't replace it thats for sure. there is a huge void left.

buddy of mine bought an 06 ranger, it is the same cursed thing!

TAKE THE VIC!

Sharky wrote:

Reply to
Picasso

i wouldn't worry about the CEL. pretty common on these olds boats i think.

minds an EGR i changed it , worked for awhile, now i just leave it

good big story though, can't believe iread the whole th> When I had originally posted, I did not have the chance to take the Crown

Reply to
Picasso