Venting about Replacement exhausts

Has anyone else made the same observation? Have a '95 Escort. But I could be talking about almost any car. When the exhaust started getting noisy, we had it
replaced at the local tire/exhaust/brake shop. We purchased the car when it was almost new, so I'm sure the exhaust had never been replaced. The original lasted for seven years and 130,000 miles. Replacement cost, not including the first two feet or the catalytic converter, was $308. It did include that stainless flexpipe and the rest of it all the way back.
Here it is, two years and 40,000 miles later, the replacement pipe is completely rust and falling apart. Apparently, they galvanize them and THEN weld the seams and all those hangers and stuff to them. The system rusts quickly along all the welds. If you go back to the garage, they will INSIST that the replacement pipes are equal or better than original equipment. They'll replace the $40 muffler for free but you're still stuck for the rest.
I'll do the damn thing myself this time. Where's the best place to order exhaust parts for my Escort where they use some actual Quality Control?
Scott snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
Probably a Ford dealer. The hangers might not fit now since the shop had it and was welding on it.....You could also look for an aftermarket snainless "preformance" system. Might be hard to find for a escort though, not really sure. GL
@aol.com says...

Most factory systems today are a mild stainless steel. It does rust, but MUCH slower than plain or galvanized steel. Most non-factory systems are probably plain or galvanized steel, which will not last long.
You could try an original factory system. Try searching for OEM parts links. Here is one (very long, cut & paste together): http://www.parts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid18 &chapter2JK91&appSectionid$89&groupid$90&make&model=Escort&year1995&catalogid=2 The above shows 'muffler and pipe' (I assume cat back?) for around $170- $180 depending on the engine and type of car (wagon or not.)
says...

could be

had it

it was

original
including the

THEN
INSIST
They'll
Unfortunately, even the so-called OEM pipes are low quality. The pipes come from different factories that the pipes that go on new cars come from.
You'll be replacing the pipes every few years.
Jeff

SSaund9084 opined in

Disagree... you shopped it, you got what you paid for. Anyone who falls for the "free muffler warranty" gimmick is an idiot.
There are different quality replacement pipes... I replaced the stock cat- muffler pipe on my 93 Probe, after 2 years and 45,000 I was hit but when I removed the good parts I found the replacement, a brand name, was nearly new looking.. very little rust. And had it only cost about 10% more than the low-cost item.
BTW: That's aluminized, not zinc Galvanized.