Voltage regulator cause current drain?

My battery is dead. Reads about 1.5 volts or so. Last night when I went out to start the car the solenoid clicked rapidly, like it was just low but not
dead. My voltage regulator went bad a few days ago which I replaced with the one from my other car (which I'm not driving at the moment). I'm wondering if that voltage regulator being bad could cause a slow drain which would cause the battery to go dead overnight. Odd because it worked fine the first day (and night) after I changed the regulator.
I checked all my accessories and everything was off. All except my cell phone which I always leave charging in the glove box, but that wouldn't drain the battery down to nothing, which it never has in the months that I've been leaving it like that. The only other thing is the tiny amount my radio draws to keep the clock going. Door jam light switches also appear to be working correctly. I'm going to use my multimeter on the fuse-block to see if there is a drain anywhere, but I was wondering if a voltage regulator could cause this to happen, seeing as how that's the only thing that's changed in the last two days.
Cory
Well I know _that_. I was just not 100% sure that there was nothing related to it that could cause a drain if it was defective. 99% of the time when I ask a question in this group I already know the answer or have a good feeling of the answer and am merely looking for reassurance or guidance. I like to feel sure of myself and having a second opinion that concurs with my own will do that. Sorry about that, perhaps instead I will ask my questions in forums as opposed to Usenet.

out
not
the
wondering
first
my
regulator

yes the voltage regulator can cause this type of problem. the drain would be about 3 amps thru the brushes of the alternator. usually this problem is accompanied with an overcharging problem while running, if the drain is caused by the regulator. good luck rusto

out
not
the
first
regulator
Thanks... I suspect there was overcharging as the water level in my battery was quite low. Coulda been overcharging and boiling it off. New alternator and voltage regulator, topped off battery and charged it. Hopefully all is well now, it seemed to be fine yesterday but it didn't sit for as long as it did last time. I'll find out for sure today.

wondering
my
Battery looked healthy on the meter when I had to use the car... I started it and it fired right up. I guess it must have been the voltage regulator and/or alternator that resulted in the drain, as I changed nothing else.

went
but
with
would