VSS reversed wired..?

Question for the electrical experts..What would happen if the Positive and Negative wires of the vehicle Speed Sensor.VSS.. were reversed..? I am here looking at 98' Taurus with all the symptoms of a bad VSS, or open circuits in the wiring harness to the Power Control Module, PCM. According the Haynes and Mitchell repair manual description for wires and connector terminal, the wires have been reversed. The connector appears not to be the original, both wires are white in color, where as just about all other sensors wires have different, bi- color coding.. Any help will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advanced.

Reply to
V.B. Mercon

The plug is "polorized". Can not be!

Reply to
Amburepair

"Amburepair" wrote

Ahhh... but:

Note the word "not". :)

Reply to
MasterBlaster

The VSS is essentially a little electric generator. Measure the terminals of the VSS to ground. (VSS not connected) If both terminals are NOT grounded, It should not make any difference. I suppose you could always swap the leads and see what happens. I have a old one laying around i will measure when i get a chance. Now, if its a hall sensor or such with a pre amp, polarity

would make a difference.

BOB

"V.B. Merc> Question for the electrical experts..What would happen if the Positive and

Reply to
BOB URZ

Bob, The wires from the harness, before the splice,(where the connector with two white wires,) are orange/pink and grey/black, just as indicated in the Haynes and Mitchell manual. orange/pink goes to ground, and grey/black is hot/positive, it goes to the PCM. I have tested both and verified them. Now, according to Haynes, Mitchell, and now Chilton,in looking at the connector, straight on, top up, the left hand terminal is positive, and the right terminal is negative. The wires from the harness are connected to the connector in reverse according to color code and polarity. When the car is cold the speedometer works OK. After about a mile or two it goes to zero, and if I slow down the shift becomes long and erratic, typical VSS symptoms. I have never come across a car with the wires with reversed . The sensor tested OK.

Reply to
V.B. Mercon

Found the answer. Since the VSS generates AC current, it makes no difference how the wires are connected. Still it would be nice when components are replaced, when you give a car out for repairs, they are put back exactly as they were.

Reply to
V.B. Mercon