Want to choose discrete options, not packages

Page 1 of 4
When I special order a new car, I want to choose only the items I want and pay only for those items I want.
Say, I want sports suspension. Why should I be forced to get those 21 inch
wheels with 1 inch greaser tires when all I want is heavy duty shocks and springs? Suppose I want the racing stripes; why do I have to pay for the super deluxe leather upolstery too? It makes no sense to force a customer to buy thousand dollar options to get a heavy duty battery that would add all of $20 to the car.
In the old days, customers could do just that: order every option a-la-carte and just pay for those things only. My daddy did it and I expect to get the same treatment from GM, Ford, and Chrysler (GM if they're still around next year). Customers are revolting against ripoffs. We all know the companies price they basic model cheap for advertising a bargain. But, when you go to build a realistic car, every extra item you want is in a different high cost package. I, for one, rebel against this unChristian, unJewish, proMoslem attitude by the car makers.
Car makers govern the assembly of cars by computer. Its easier than ever to build a car a-la-carte, so there's no excuse for them not doing it my way. Its my way or the highway, bub.

Have a good trip.
Dave
You can order most everything in individual options. You must be another Jap shill. Don't believe? Go to the GM web site and build vehicles. You can do a lot of things individually that are also part of a larger package. Not everything, but a lot.
On Fri, 19 May 2006 00:10:03 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio

Better yet rebuild an old car and make it just the way you want.

the wrong options, but I only paid $700 for it.
I guess that works, if you don't intend to drive too far. ;)
mike hunt

You guess? You sound like you don't know much about cars. Why are you posting?

Does that mean you would attempt a 5,000 mile trip in a $700 car ;)
mike hunt

A $700 car does not have to be a crap car.
A crap car is one that fails when you don't expect it to fail, irregardless of how much you paid for it.
Then I guess you would attempt a 5,000 mile trip in a $700 car. I would not if I were you ;)

I have not had a $700 car in a while. The last $700 car I had was a used 1973 Fury with a 360 v8. That was 1981. I ran it till 1985. I guess $700 would equate to two or three times that amount in todays dollars.
I have a car in my driveway I'm thinking of selling for $500. I wouldn't consider a 5k mile run with that one because the tranny needs a rebuild.
My Father bought a 1966 2 door Buick Skylark with a v6 in 1993. He paid $150 for it. It was garaged, well taken care of, never taken out on bad weather days, and had 36,000 miles on the odometer. Owner was afraid of it because it was too old and replaced it with a Tempo (ugh!).
So there you have it. A car I would drive 5k miles in with no qualms that cost less than $500 in today's money and a car that was new that I wouldn't trust for 500 feet (the Tempo with every option Ford could stuff into it).
It is not the cost of the car, but the condition of that car. Cheap does not aways equate to crap. Learned that in the 1970's when buying cars from the NYC repo actions under the Whitestone Bridge. I still miss that 1968 Imperial with 40,000 miles we got for $400 with only a broken seat back.
If one can buy any car in todays market for $500 it will have little change of being a vehicle in which one would want to take on a 5,000 mile trip. It were a 'good' car by definition it would be selling for more than $500 ;)
mike hunt

I own a 1984 Celebrity with a blue book of $500 and I wouldn't hesitate to take a 5000 mile trip in it. Of course, I replaced the engine with a rebuilt engine about 4 years ago, but the car is still only worth $500 to the market.
Ted
I guess you could, as long as you have a valid credit card. ;)
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

I did several 600 mile trips in a car that cost me $1, does that count?

You beat me. I paid $15 for one of mine. (but it was a convertible). Took a couple of lengthy trips.

I took a few trips in a VW micro bus when I was a kid in the late 60's - does that count?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Most street rods cost more than many new cars.
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

Mostly because they are pro built for yuppies with too much goddamned money. Do your own work and look for inexpensive parts and you can do OK. But we aren't talking street rods, but driver cars.