Want to choose discrete options, not packages

When I special order a new car, I want to choose only the items I want and pay only for those items I want.

Say, I want sports suspension. Why should I be forced to get those 21 inch wheels with 1 inch greaser tires when all I want is heavy duty shocks and springs? Suppose I want the racing stripes; why do I have to pay for the super deluxe leather upolstery too? It makes no sense to force a customer to buy thousand dollar options to get a heavy duty battery that would add all of $20 to the car.

In the old days, customers could do just that: order every option a-la-carte and just pay for those things only. My daddy did it and I expect to get the same treatment from GM, Ford, and Chrysler (GM if they're still around next year). Customers are revolting against ripoffs. We all know the companies price they basic model cheap for advertising a bargain. But, when you go to build a realistic car, every extra item you want is in a different high cost package. I, for one, rebel against this unChristian, unJewish, proMoslem attitude by the car makers.

Car makers govern the assembly of cars by computer. Its easier than ever to build a car a-la-carte, so there's no excuse for them not doing it my way. Its my way or the highway, bub.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

unChristian,

Have a good trip.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Better yet rebuild an old car and make it just the way you want.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Better still, just buy and old junker and drive it. Then you'll say it's all the wrong options, but I only paid $700 for it.

Reply to
Joe

I think we have all shared that feeling from time to time. No matter what make or model you are considering, you may not be able to get exactly what you want from the factory, at least not at a price that pleases.

I don't like, for example, some of the electronic gadgetry that many models offer. We have used Buicks for years, and in general they are pretty good, but their fascination with electrical geegaws can be troublesome.

Reply to
<HLS

Do that include the engine control microprocessor? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I guess that works, if you don't intend to drive too far. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Most street rods cost more than many new cars.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Nomen Nescio wrote another bunch of mostly crap...

BUT, my one gripe with Ford right now is that you can't get the 41G package on the base Standard Crown Vic, it has to be a LX.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Buy a base Mercury GM and save yourself some money, WBMA

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mostly because they are pro built for yuppies with too much goddamned money. Do your own work and look for inexpensive parts and you can do OK. But we aren't talking street rods, but driver cars.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

By my definition, it would not. A geegaw is a bullshit item that is not essential to the operation of the vehicle.

Reply to
<HLS

Like fuel injection or an automatic tranny?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Like a model 'T?'

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I believe that's an issue with some, not all car companies. It must be less expensive for them to do it this way.

I put together a GM Denali and there are many, not all, options that you can order without getting all the Bells and Whistles.

Reply to
NJ Vike

Maybe on your cars, Mike.

I don't need or want a heated washer fluid system , a heated mirror, a time delay interior and exterior lighting scheme, etc...

I dont need power seat belt retractors, nor an automated Tampax remover in my car.

Believe it or not, I am still strong enough to adjust my own seat manually, and even whip the occasional smartass in the parking lot. The latter just takes a little longer now than it used to do.

Reply to
<HLS

Of course it is less expensive to come out with standard models and a few 'packages'. No doubt about it.

I and remember when the options were radio, heater, and white wall tires.

Later, automatic trannies became availble.

And then air conditioners.

Who knows where it will all end?? ;>)

Reply to
<HLS

Who is taking about 'need?' Who needs a navigation system? Buyers buy what they want LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Sounds a lot like my complaint about the cable tv company. 100 channels and I watch maybe 6, but the ones I watch are in the "expanded" basic package.

Just a ploy to get you to move up...

Reply to
Spike