WARNING : ESCAPE Tires

Watch out for the OEM tires on the Escape.
Continental/General has already had a RECALL on the Grabber AW on the Expedition, and maybe the ones on the Escape are next.
I just had one blowout for no reason (other than sidewll separation) at 15,500 miles, and Ford just wants to hide its head in the sand, rather than see if maybe it's Ford Explorer/Firestone all over again with General tires.
I can't recommend buying a car from a company that wont stand behind its product.
I've got 9,000 miles on my '02 Escape with no problems as of yet, but this is the first I've heard of the General's having a problem. I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the Escape web sites, either. All that notwithstanding, I don't see where the tires are Ford's product or direct problem. If there is a tire problem, it is the tire manufacturer's warranty that should fix it (and their responsibility). That's what happened on my Ford Probe. The car was still under warranty, but a local tire place replaced the tire for nothing. Blaming Ford for General's or Firestone's problems would be like blaming the school because a child flunked a grade. Tom F.

I can't recommend listening to advice from someone with a sample size of one.
I'm not saying that tire makers are perfect. However, in many cases, the consumer's first reaction is to blame someone else. I see people in SUV's and vans acting like their last name is Andretti or Foyt. The tire blows or the vehicle turns over and it HAS to be someone else's fault.
Don't know about you, but the some of the Kindergarten teachers at my school come into the parking lot on two wheels just as the bell is about to ring. No I do not work for Ford, Claud
Ima wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 18:57:48 -0400, Claud Spinks

I've driven like that all my life and never have tire problems. The cause of almost all tire problems is low tire pressure. There's not much else that can wreck them unless you consider driving over curbs normal. All the other hard driving stuff just wears the tread down.

Wouldn't it behoove Ford to investigate further, rather than blow it off?
Ford has learned nothing from the Firestone debacle.
It's always the customer/consumer's first reaction to blame the manufacturer or retailer when something goes wrong. It's never the customers fault. Trust me I know, I've worked in retail for almost 5 years as a cashier and now as a teller supervisor @ a bank.
_____________

How many times do you plan on posting this?? Buy Michelin CrossTerrains and enjoy the vehicle. Life is over too fast to waste days worrying about stupid ass tires.

I'm more concerned about Ford ignoring a potentially serious issue. I've notified my lawyer, the NHTSA, and local TV.

It's people like this who destroyed America. This is the kind of brainless wanker that's lumbered you with "caution, filling is hot" signs on McDonalds Apple Pies, that's given you all the bings, bongs, beeps, that you have to put up with whenever you start an american car. This is the kind of idiot that's given you "Danger, inflammable" signs on cigarette lighters.
Product liability my arse, they're just after something for nothing. Making a few quick bucks out of a big company, doesn't matter if it's their own fault their tyre's worn out, blame someone else. Then spend their days complaining about it in newsgroups. They're the kind of window licking fool that'd drive a Pinto just incase someone hit it up the arse. "Gee, Wilbur, if we get burnt to a crisp, it'll be worth $200000.. so let's get one of those there Pintos.. and fit Firestones to it.."
Pete M
Pete M opined in

EXACTLY!!! These guys were the idiot that, as kids, stuck their tongues to the metal pole on the playground when it was way below freezing.
That tested power outlets by partially removing a plug and dropping a coin or bottle cap between the prongs...
In the old days, Darwin eliminated them before the lawyers could get to them... usually by way of gun-cleaning accidents.
But NOW, they make it to maturity and become "damages attorneys", convenient because Law School will remove any remaining vestige of common sense.
My current favorite The ones that advertise:
"The dog doesnt actually have to BITE you for you to sue!"
Tell you what ELSE! This guy votes Liberal... he thinks everyone must be protected against themselves.
Backyard Mechanic is an unabashed Ford apologist, who thinks they do no wrong, and are allowed to knowlingly sell cars with defective tires.
What's you problem? If you own a Ford take the vehicle to a dealer. Ford warrants the tires they put on their cars. Ford is the ONLY manufacture to warrant tires. Get real
mike hunt
Ima wrote:

Exactly my point. I took it to the dealer, the Service Mangaer shrugged his shoulders and walked away. I called Ford customer service, they claimed to call Service manager and said he'd call me back, and a week later he hasn't.
Why the service manager would not want to get paid for a warrantable claim is beyond me. Perhaps you need to try another dealer, maybe the one from whom you purchased the vehicle?
mike hunt
Ima wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@nonymous.com (Ima) wrote in <ima

Good! Then you can stop whining about it here.

Then again... (Is = may be) (to = unless you)

Right, but the rest of my post said something like, "Buy a set of new tires and forget about it!". At no time did I suggest that he should continue riding around on crap tires.

You Ford apologists missed the whole point. Maybe we should rename this Newsgroup?
General Grabber AW tires have been recalled in 17" varieties. Maybe there's an issue in the 15", maybe its worse than Firestone, but Ford (and its dealers) stonewall the customer, and they care not. Had the tire blown out while I was on the Interstate, rather than a local street, the Escape might have flipped, I'd be dead, and Ford would be set to lose an 8 figure lawsuit.
They learned nothing.
P.S. I now have a lovely set of Michelin X one.
Ima opined

It already addresses "everything Ford" what more do you want.
And I dont think you will do a search on Google and see us as rabid fanatics as say, BMW or Saab. What would we find out about your frame of mind if we searched your post history?

Good for you, you addressed the real remedy. AND You've raised the point.
But even the lofty Michelin has put out crap, particularlly a few years back when they sold a line of low-priced tires... As "all-season" they had lousy wet-traction right out of the store.
THe REAL problem to address is you have NO remedy in a case like that.
BTW, I guess I've commuted about 3/4 million miles in the last 25 years and in that time have never had a "blow-out" tire failure.
When I had one PRIOR to that time, there was adequate warning, esp in tread separation cases and I bet each and every Explorer blow out case gave some warning.. but drivers kept on going.