Warning light mystery, zx2

Hoping there is a mechanic out there who can advise on this one. My car has 55,000 miles, and i have owned it since new, and religeously changed the oil and filter every 3k miles since new, and just changed it
300 miles ago.
Yesterday, I was driving along at about 70, cruising in 5th gear, at low RPMs, and the "service engine soon" light came on.
I pulled over, to check the fluids, and that it was not over heating. It wasn't, and everything appears to be fine. tip top in fact.
I had about 50 miles to go on my trip, and made it without incident or problems.
Went out this morning and checked the fluids again, cold, and everything seems perfect.
Any clues as to what has caused this warning light to come on?
It looks ok to me... But I don't want to have the engine blow, nor do I want to unnecessarily get ripped off at a service station if there is nothing really wrong.
Could it be an electrical problem, with the light itself?
Thanks for some honest information!
David Platt wrote:

then you can find out what the trouble code(s) is, are.............. the SERVICE ENGINE soon light on our honda comes on as we do our own service work, and dont take it to the dealer... the dealer just resets the service engine soon light-if that is what you are talking about then its no problem and its not the Check Engine light at all, but something else, depending on what kind of car you have... we reset our light by pressing on the button on the dash and turning the key on and it goes out... its time/travel related... on my old 75 datsun pickup truck you had to take a nail and press it into the little metal meter under the hood that had a service hole in it.. it would then reset the meter and turn the light off...... it had something to do with so many thousand turns of the key??? or something that would advance the meter.........
The light has nothing to do with your fluid levels, your owners manual will tell that, you still have it, please read it. The problem is an emissions related issue. The processor saw a problem, and is telling you by turning on the light. You need to have a qualified repair facility check it out.

Thomas Moats wrote:

THe light went off again, as mysteriously as it went on. Which indicates an electrical problem with the display, as far as i can tell. By the way, top posting is considered bad usenet etiquette. Please post on the bottom, and read the usenet FAQS regarding netiquette.

out of 10000 or more it is NOT "an electrical problem with the display" that is the problem. The computer turns that light on when it sees a problem. It seams you care about/for your car so do it a favor and fix it. It is most likely nothing serious and you could probably drive it like that till it is wears out or you sell it, but you should "check the engine soon" .You wont know what the problem is or how much it is hurting your car till you know the code it is setting and why. :)
I'll post where I feel it is best. Top, bottom or in the middle of the reply for certain statements. Don't like it? Tough.

Nothing wrong with the "display" circuit. The problem is emission related, take it to a qualified repair facility and have a diagnostic run, there is a code saved in the processor. Your owners manual spells that out, try reading it.

Thomas Moats wrote:

OK, but don't say you haven't been warned that it makes you look like a complete idiot.
Oh...........I'm an idiot? Read your owners manual yet? Who's the one checking fluids for an emissions light? That would be you. Who's the one asking what the light means? That would be you. Who's the one thinking the light coming on is an electrical problem with the light? That would be you.

Thomas Moats wrote:

It is an electrical problem with the light, had it checked out at the dealer this morning, dealer says i was right. Happy top posting.
Yea, right, lie on dude!

David Platt wrote:

You never did say what make, model, year you were having a problem with. Takes las pelotas grandes to nit pick someone that's giving you valuable free information. By the way, how did the dealer know it was an electrical problem when you said in another post: "The light went off again, as mysteriously as it went on?"
Frank
Check the lid on your coolant bottle. It pops up and the light goes on. Also, if you have had severe freezing conditions the oil dipstick can pop loose on the 97-99 Zetec engines. (Contour as well)