was my clutch worn out?

Long story short:
My shifting was getting stiffer over the course of two weeks. I suspected my clutch. A local shop took it for a test drive, and said
the clutch needed replacing. After replacing it, it turned out that the shifting problems were due to the transmission, which was replaced. Now the shifting is fine. The shop manager said the clutch was definitely dead, and he knew it was because the clutch was slipping. This was not my experience. He did show me the clutch briefly (At least I assume it was my removed clutch...) and the cluch surface was worn down all the way to the brass studs. I don't know much- I just need to double check. Does this mean the clutch was toast? Or could it be worn to the brass studs and still have life in it?
thanks, Anthony
if its worn to the rivets its gone. If it needed a new tranny, its a great time for a new clutch too.........

Scott M wrote:

Also, if you have any problems, the service manager isn't going to be able to dance around it. He's already replaced both components... and you've got a new system.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
On 6 May 2004 21:36:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yale.edu (ant) wrote:

He,he,he he's probably replaced _that_ clutch 100 times over with 100 different customers.
Actually though, if you have the transmission out and have more than 50K miles on the clutch, you might as well replace it. You shouldn't pay the remove/install tranny labor twice though.