Was the 94 Escort Clutch Glazed?

The clutch discussed in my previous post re my 94 Escort 5 speed clutch slipping was behaving pretty normally on a long trip down I95 yesterday, and in a bunch of in town stop and go. Only a very slight slippage in 5th once or twice at high speed when I laid into the throttle and RPMs.

Could my earlier problem have been a temporary glazing of the clutch surface, most likely inflicted by the "valet" who parked it just before I noticed it the other day?

At any rate, it will be about 600 bucks to replace. Will keep on driving it till it really needs it I guess. I suspect I will be given adequate warning the way it is currently behaving. And I wondt be handing it over to any "valets"!

Reply to
Chris Bowne

It's doubtful that the Valet ruined your clutch. It takes some pretty good abuse to do that kind of damage. The Escort doesn't exectly bring out the Mario Andretti in most folks. If it was damaged on his "one time" drive, you would have smelled burnt clutch material when you picked it up. No glazing is "temporary". If it is still slipping in 5th gear, it's still glazed and failing. Get it repaired now. Murphys Law says that it will quickly finish failing on the highway, in the middle of nowhwhere, in the middle of a rainstorm when your cell phone battery is dead.

Reply to
Tom Adkins