water leak from heater area

I took my 89 Taurus SHO to the car wash last week. It has the electronic controlled style heating A/C system. I have used this car wash before many times. After exiting the car wash on the way home I had water
dripping from the seam at the bottom of the heater case. The rug was pretty wet. I took it home and dried it out. My first thought was I lost the heater core but the water didnt smell like anti freeze and wasnt hot. My only guess is that it went down through the fresh air inlet at the base of the windshield into the box. I removed the plastic panel under the heater box thats held on with clips but couldnt really see anything.
I havent had time to investigate it any farther yet.
Has anyone else here had this happen on their car? Could it be a leaking windshield?
Thanks Rich
I'm also having a problem with a wet floor on the front passenger side of my 97 Taurus. I think you are correct that it may be from water ingested via the fresh air intake, more likely as snow - I have only recently had the problem after a few doses of heavy wet white stuff.
Am gong to check the AC evaporator drain for clogging - thats another common source of fresh water condensate - maybe the heater core area drains through the same line?

A clogged drain hose is a possibility. I will check that when I get time. No snow here yet, but its coming.
Chris Bowne wrote:

There's a seal that goes bad, located under the windshield bottom molding on the passenger side that goes bad after so many years; replace the seal.