Weird Heater Hose... '93 Ford Ranger V6 ...maybe other models too (hopefully not)

I blew a heater hose the other day. I went to get a length of heater hose cut. Luckily, I was holding the old hose as the guy pointed out that the
one end was larger diameter than the other end.
I looked at it kinda shocked. He was right. I mean, the larger end was swollen where it had gone bad, but it was obviously a different size to begin with.
The part number tag had pretty much almost melted, but I used my best CSI squint and cross-checked on the NAPA website and came up with...
Ford part # F37H18C266AC
or
NAPA part # NBH 10965
It's weird. On the heater core side it's a standard 5/8" diameter hose, but on the water pump size it's like 7/8" or almost an inch in diameter.
When I called the Ford dealership the guy in the parts department thought I was off my rocker. Luckily, I found one at a NAPA in town, and the guy that sold it to me was also surprised. He said that as long as he worked there they had never restocked that "weird heater hose" and he always wondered what kind of car it went to. We had a good chuckle over it.
I'm just posting this to hopefully save someone else that might have this problem later from having too much of a headache.
Very dumb design.
~e.
visions of effty wrote:

If you are ever in a pinch where a parts store or the dealer doesn't have one of these, buy a 5.8" hose barb, a 7/8" hose barb and screw them together with an adapter. Then buy a small section of 7/8" heater hose and a small section of 5/8" heater hose and assemble this all together and you are ready to go.

I briefly thought about rigging up something like this. Luckily, the ninth place I called actually had the part. It will be the first place I call next time!
~e.
visions of effty wrote:

My Escort 1.9L has a heater hose and a lower radiator hose like that. Also that radiator hose is very hard to install without removing the power steering pump, and a different heater hose leaks like crazy unless glued and tightened a lot, and the only way to access its hose clamps is by removing the igniton coil pack.
Why does Ford keep doing things like this?

I dunno. Every time I work on my truck, I miss my Toyota. That thing was much more straightforward.
Don't overtighten your hoses trying to fix them! That can make them leak too. I believe most cars only use the tension-type clamps for the heater hoses for that reason. You can't overtighten those.
This thing took a pair of channel locks, plus a smaller pair of locking pliers to get the heater hose clamp over the hose on the water pump side. It was a weird angle in a small space too. That took the most time out of anything. Besides finding the stoopid hose, that is.
~e.
My 92 Windstar was the same way. I didn't think it was all that bizarre. I did, however, splice a leaky hose using a deep well socket and a couple of hose clamps. Amazing what you can do when you are stuck at the side of the highway....

GMach3 wrote:

Is that a typo or did you get a factory prototype? (I didn't think they made the Windstar until about '95......) Whatever.
Slight timewarp. ;-) T'was an Aerostar with the 3.0.

Thats a good one. Worth remembering.
visions of effty wrote:

I wanted to use spring clamps, but there was no way to get pliers into some of the tight spaces. I used flat band screw clamps but was told that wire screw clamps seal better. Unfortunately I can't find any locally (I have a big one I bought from Amazon.com so that they wouldn't charge for shipping on a computer mouse that was free after rebate).