Weird problem with Sable 97 LS (Duratech)

Hello experts,

Something weird came up a few days ago. I live in Southern Ontario and the weather conditions (temperature) were rapidly changing over he last few days- the temperature went down to -5 -9 C and it is +10 C now. Not sure but it might be the cause of all this.

the problem is following: I was driving in the city and make a stop to buy some beer for a weekend. I returned to the car within 5 min (i.e it was still worm) tried to start. it started OK. I shifted the clutch to D - the motor stalled. The CE and the Oil level lights came on. I turned the key to Off, waited for 10 sec and tried again- The same story. When the clutch was in the "D" position the engine was running for a few seconds but the RPM was pretty low (sometimes below 500 rpm) and unstable. I am under impression that the engine is working against something stiff.

Then waited for 10 min, started the engine and shifted the clutch to "2" and then to "D". It worked. It's been 3 days my car is occasionally doing this. The oil level is OK - the first thing I did after it happened the first time I drove to the oil changers. I checked the ATF - no smell and the color is OK. The ATF level is OK either.

The guy who changed oil said it might be moisture in the fuel lines. Does it make any sense? What else might it be?

Thanks Dima

Reply to
DNB

CE and OIl lights came on because engine stalled.

And engine might have stalled due to a stiff or dirty Idle Speed Control valve.

also note if you have hesitation when starting up from stoplight or sign... would be a dirty Mass Air Flow sensor.

Other possibility is leaky injector or fuel pressure regulator.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic