Wet Trunk - 05 Thunderbird

Friends 05 Tbird trunk is getting wet. Dealer replaced the rubber gasket/seal that runs around the entire opening on the body side and that has not resolved it. I have noticed that even the material on the underside of the trunk lid is wet, making me wonder if condensation is the problem. The car is kept outside and makes 4 mile trips 5 times a night, just enough to warm up pretty good and then cool off. Has anyone ever come across a situation where there has been enough condensation formed in a trunk to saturate a blanket in a week? Any solutions?

tia

Reply to
Al

i don't know if you have a trunk rack on your car or not but i resealed the trunk rack on my car and it solved my moisture problem.

Reply to
42n8_1

I would check the rear windows as well as the joint sealers, tail lamps, and any other parts that go through the metal of the trunk . The rubber seal is rarely the source of a leak, since it is sets about the surrounding metal surfaces.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I had moisture getting inside my trunk (97 Countour). I had the area around the license plate resealed. I haven't had moisture since.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I would check to make sure the drain hole under the spare tire is open and not holding water in there. I have see this happen several times before, and the people just ended up drilling a new hole to make the water drain out if any got in there.

Reply to
Ford Tech

Is the hard top on or off?

When you say the trunk is getting wet, is there standing water, or just dampness?

Is it getting wet in the rain or just sitting there on cool nights?

If it has to be raining to get wet, does it get wet just sitting still or do you have to drive it?

Has anybody added any holes to the trunk lid for antennas?

An '05 Thunderbord has a composite trunk lid. There is a deep channel all around the trunk opening which should allow any water to drain around the trunk seal. The panel between the trunk lid and converible top is also a composite material. It has to be removed to replace the third brake light. I am wondering it this panel is not properly attached. This panel is attached to the body with four studs and nuts. Two of the studs are accessed from inside the trunk (you remove the little package shelf box at the front of the trunk) and two are accessed through the wheel well. I suppose if one of these studs or nuts was missing or inproperly sealed, water might get into the trunk via this path. It still seems unlikely that it would wet the understide of the trunk lid.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Hard top was not on - it is on now but have not had enough time to see if that makes a difference.

A blanket and some books were in the trunk, they were all pretty well saturated. The tray over the spare is wet, the area down under the spare tire is dry. The material that covers the underside of the trunk lid is wet - if you press your hand against it you feel the water. Also you can detect some drops by running your finger around the underside of the outer edge of the lid. What is unknown is could the underside of the lid sweat so much as to wet everything below it - or is the water below it evaporating and condensing above.

Not entirely sure. It's been found to be wet several days after a rain, but no one remembered to carefully check before and after the rain.

It does not often get driven far in the rain. But it is often sat in during breaks from work during the night shift - engine running - heater on - maybe 4 times a night. That's one reason I'm wondering if condensation could be the problem.

No - totally stock - it has the standard Tbird emblem on the edge of the lid, not sure if that is glued or has holes.

I did not suspect that seal - but that's what her dealer chose to replace.

The panel between the trunk lid and converible

That's good info - I'm going to carefully inspect that area for her.

Do you know if there are any ventilation related aspects to this? Like any duct work terminating back there?

Reply to
Al

There is not a solid seal between the convertible top mechanism area and the trunk. Air can circulate freely from the interior of the car to the trunk in the area of the convertible top mechanism. . This make me think it is unlikely that the problem is condensation. It is just sounds like you have a lot more water in the trunk than could have come in through any opening without also showing up in the passenger compartment. Has this problem only happened once? Is it possible that someone inadvertently popped the trunk with the key fob? I could picture water being blown past the seal if the trunk wasn't completely closed.

I wouldn't count on the dealer fixing this without some pushing. If this is a reoccurring problem, I'd suggest getting out the garden hose and spraying water around the car until you generate a leak.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

. If this is

I would add: With a friend in the trunk with a flashlight. If there is water intrusion, it will show and he will see it. If not with the garden hose, repeat the scenario at the local quarter car wash with the sprayer on rinse all around the trunk/rear window/ tail light area.

Reply to
Tom Adkins