What am I missing in CAN'T shift out of PARK answer ????

The ANSWER below says to SHIFT to neutral and start the car there.
If the original post was called CAN'T SHIFT OUT OF PARK, then HOW can you shift to NEUTRAL to start the car from there ????
TIA
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Subject: Re: Can't Shift out of Park

The work-around, in case you don't have the Owner's Manual handy, is to put foot on brake pedal, shift to neutral before starting engine, then foot on brake (so it doesn't roll on ya) and shift to either drive or reverse as appropriate.
Drove my van for 2 years doing that. It's also a great anti-theft device <grin> anddrives jiffy-lube type places and valet parking attendants crazy ... they'll definitely come looking for you if you forget to tell them about it.
Phil
Conase wrote:

Turn the key to Off (just past Lock, just before On), shift to Neutral, then start the car from Neutral and shift into Drive or Reverse. This works on my 1993 Taurus, and should work on other Fords as well.
-lee