What happens to the spare tire?

You still need a spare, so just keep it as a spare. I dont understand the point of your question. As long as the spare is relatively the same size as the new tires. just leave it be a spare. If you're getting a totally different tire size, then you may have to sell the spare to someone that can use it, and buy five new tires.

Reply to
Jeepwolf
09 Dec 2007,clare at snyder.on.ca in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

and when the michelin man gets really hungry during the wee hours, he might sneak out to take a nibble out of a bridgestone, but anyways...

just a note. all 5 wheels/tires are the same on 2000 mazda b3000 (ranger) with aluminum wheels (they seem to be aluminum).

Reply to
nospam

I wouldn't use it. You're asking for the tire to "live" for 10 years. While tires don't have a age limit, that's a long time.

It's almost better to keep one of your current tires as a spare. Tires need to rotate to fight ozone (rolling causes anti-ozone compounds to come to the surface where they are "used up").

Anyway, the guy at the tire shop has the same ability to determine a tire's fitness for service as a field medic would have to read an MRI.

Reply to
pmkeating

HUH ?????????????????????????????

Explain this ............

Reply to
Jeepwolf

I've heard this before. The ozone protection chemicals in the rubber continuously work their weay to the surface as the tire is run. It doesn't happen when the tire is just sitting, which is why a sitting car suffers faster tire rot than a running car (when not garaged or otherwize protected from UV and Ozone)

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

My Ranger has four aluminum rims but the full sized spare is mounted on a stock steel rim.

Reply to
Shawn

If you want to put the spare tire into the rotation, the solution is to find another matching aluminum rim at a wrecking yard or as a "take-off" at a local tire shop that sold someone else a new set of rims, they often keep the old ones for either scrap or resale.

Go leave a written request for a set of Ranger/B3000 wheels at all the regional car dealers and tire shops with your name and number. A set will show up. And since you aren't in a "I Need It Right Now!" panicked rush, you shouldn't be paying full retail - depending on how fancy they are, some of those rims can be $200 to $500 new at the dealer.

If you can find a really good price on the rims like $20 each and they have more than one, get what they have. Then you are ready if you bang into a curb and bend or break one.

Take-offs usually come in sets of 4 - unless they were removed because the prior owner broke one and bought four new (non stock) matching rims, in which case there are three good ones left. Sometimes they even come with decent used tires on them as a bonus, but the price is a bit higher.

Oh, and snow tires go much better on a separate set of steel rims - save yours, find more. Snow means salt and tire chains and de-icing chemicals, and they are hell on the finish of alloy wheels, which are costly to have refinished - steel rims can be cleaned up and painted easily and cheaply.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Every spring after the snowmelt, I spend some time with my Dremel tool & polishing compound to make the rims look like new. It takes time but well worth the effort.

Reply to
Shawn

To who?

I wouldn't waste the time to polish one wheel with a dremel tool, let alone

4 wheels...
Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

It only takes approximately twenty minutes per rim & I don't mind the work. Beats driving with "winterized wheels" what Maine is famous for.

Reply to
Shawn