What is a good adhesive for vinyl to metal

The interior roof of my vehicle has vinyl and in places it has become detached from the metal roof. I have tried to "glue" it back first with clear silicone and then with contact cement. Neither of these will work.

Any ideas out there as to what adhesive I can use?

Thanks in advance Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

This worked well for me in a Mustang. Remove the entire inner roof liner. Get a piece of vinyl larger than the old one and some sponge/foam rubber or other padding. You can use pop rivets to tie the vinyl and padding to the backing pieceLay out a neat pattern on the backer and drill holes through it for the pop rivets. Be sure you put a row at the point where the backer bends on the sides (most bend down slightly at each side). Lay out the backer, padding on top, and vinyl on top of the padding. Use the backup washers that are available to use with the pop rivets. and rivet the whole thing together using the pattern you laid out. Squares or diamonds look good. With a reasonable amount of padding, the pop rivets will nearly disappear. You can't use the old headliner because it will be too small (originally it laid flat, now you will have a tuck and roll effect) I tried adhesives first and none worked. They all let go within a week or two.

Reply to
max-income

Thank you kindly for this information.

Denny B