What is a good year for Aerostar?

I'm looking for a late model used Aerostar, 4-7 years old. Is there a good model year? or a bad year to stay away from?
Thanks in advance.
Fred

For transmission issues stay away from 86 to 93's unless their transmissions have been rebuilt using the new, drive planetary gear set. The 94 and newer units incorporated the change.
Fred wrote:

The BEST aerostar is the 1997 - last year of production, and they finally got everything right. The corrosion issues are virtually gone, 5 speed automatic, great van, all the way round. You can't get a 4 year old, or even a 7 year old, because the last one built was 8 years ago.
Thankye gents!

One more question - I have gotten conflicting info. I know that the transmission was upgraded sometime since 1993. Anyone know for sure what year it was? I have heard 94, 96 and 97.

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 16:41:49 GMT, "Fred"

Thanks, nospam, and to all those fine and very helpful folks who have answered my infinitely basic questions. I just got back home from buying a '97. Between all your help and a few phone calls to helpful dealers' service managers, everything worked out fine.
Now here's some hints to pass on to future car buyers....
I found that the dealer service managers in this area (S. Calif) answered my questions on the phone, but were for the most part impatient and not all that helpful. What I ended up doing was going to www.bigyellow.com, and finding the Ford dealers in small Southern towns. Without exception, they all spent lots of time with me on the phone and offered many friendly tips of what to look for.
I will try to remember to take some photos of my 97 in the morning and show you all what this one looks like.
Fred

1. No one is asking to see it/them. If you think there's interest there's better ways to get it front of interested eyes; a. Get their email address and attach it to a letter. b. Avail yourself of some free web page service (check with your ISP) and post it up there, come back to the text newsgroups and tell us where to point our browsers. c. Post it in a binary usenet group and come back here and tell us where to find it. This isn't very desirable as most ISP's 'free' news servers often cap the size of a newsgroup post, oftentimes don't retain a complete set of large binary posts very long, and also might split up the post and leave a chunk or two of it out. 2. Offline newsreaders are often setup to grab all the unread messages on a news server by group. That means that folks that have no interest in looking at pictures of your Aerostar, end up with large chunks of data stuffing up their hard drives when they download your pictures. 3. Some folks still "pay the freight" so to speak, for downloading data. Dialup users, for instance, limiting themselves to a few minutes a day downloading the newsgroups to read at their leisure, suddenly find themselves taking an inordinate amount of time as your large attachment makes downloading one message take awhile.

Thanks for the good info, Brother Bonzai. Yes, it's a pain when people post files to non-binary newsgroups. Although I had not planned to post it here, your fine advice is welcome.
Fred
Thanks, DM!