What is a Serpentine Valve

I just took my 2000 Ranger XL V6, with only 20,000 miles on it (it only goes 6 miles a day) in to the dealer for an oil change and they said that my Serpentine Valve needed to be replaced. Now I thought I had heard
everything, but I have no idea what this is...Serpentine Chain yes, but valve?
Any insight would be appreciated.
thanks, Valerie
Valerie,
I suspect you may have misheard what the service rep (or mechanic) said.
Automobile service companies invariably look for additional reasons to extract more profits from your wallet (or plastic). While they are rarely altruistic, they do often perform additional maintenance that is to your benefit. If the mechanic was only changing your oil, he/she very likely would have noted on the service order that your SERPENTINE BELT could use replacing.
I generally replace serpentine belts at about 25,000 miles. I would not consider 20,000 miles excessively premature.
Val Cason wrote:

Val Cason opined in

Hmmm... I changed the belt on my 95 Taurus at 140Kmiles... bought the car 5 years ago at 43kmiles,, of course the belt MIGHT have been changed prior to that.
And I only did that because I was changing the water pump... saw only the minor flex cracks on the ribs,, no sections of rib cover missing. Uniform small cracks on underside are like wrinkles on your face. They dont mean you are dying
ONE of the reasons for using serp belts is because they wore better and used less power due to flex than the old v's... and that's true.
And v's lasted over 40 k before they were in danger of breaking.
IF you had experienced a problem, producing belt squeal - like a locked alternator - THEN you might have premature wear.
So.. think they were shining you on?
Good advice. Just wait until something breaks/fails before you fix it. Preventative maintenance...? Mark
Wuzzzer opined in

BTW.. whats your advice to Valerie, hmmmmm?
Is it to have it changed because they said to?

I bought a 84 CV wagon with 97,000 miles & a serpentine belt with big chunks out of it, And I ran it for another 65,000 miles before replacing it. (had spare in the back) Not that it needed replacing, I was told by the guy inspecting the car for the state ins.it would not pass . So I grabbed the one in the back and said I'll be back after I put this on.

goes
Say "Thank You," and walk out of there. Take it to another garage for a second opinion.
Jeff

There is no such thing as a throckmorton, gildersleeve or hysterisis loop. I think the second mechanic is taking for a ride. You need to find a mechanic whom you can trust.
Jeff
Uh, Jeff. How 'bout I work on my spelling (hysteresis) while you work on your sense of humor. Oh, you might also look up Throckmorton Gildersleeve on any search engine.
It wuz a joke.
Jeff Utz wrote:

I know. I was pointing out that if you don't understand what your mechanic is saying, it is time to find a new one. Sorry my humor is dry.
Im suprised at all of you guys. You never heard of a serpintine Valve? its just to the left of the Muffler Bearings, and Piston Bushings.

goes
Actually, there are Piston Bushings. In some racing applications plastic bushings slide into the wrist pin hole to insure that the clips don't fly out.

goes
is that like the left handed smoke sifter?