What is Clunk in Driveline, '93 AeroStar

I've got a 1993 Aerostar with 4wd. When you let off the gas, or accelerate somewhat powerfully, you get a pretty loud clunk in the driveline. I'm wondering if this is common, and more specifically, whether it is harmful.
Thanks, - Jeff www.worlds-strangest-website.com
If I owned a 16 year old vehicle, I would be looking at the drive shaft universal joints and the CV joints if it is AWD.

You ask if this was common. Has it always done this, or did it just start? As previously posted, check your entire drive line. Also pay attention to the driveshaft splines. Sometimes they wear into each other and it makes it difficult to move back and forth and when the pressure on the driveshaft is lessoned, they jump back and forth.

Brother had 4wd Aerostar and he was constantly replacing the front driveshaft yoke. ( yes, those splines) I believe he finally fixed it vy installing a 1997 front driveshaft - I THINK that was one of the many changes that made the '97 aerostar what the aerostar SHOULD have been from the beginning - a great van.