What now?

Hi, I have an 85 Ford Crown Vic.I have had it for about 4 years now.It doesn't seem to want to run when in cold/damp weather.It has a 302 and has a carb...last year I believe with a carb(canada).Car has about

100000 miles on it.

This only happens when it is cold/damp.First start of the day...Starts fine,fast idle, runs fine for about 2-3 mins.Idle drops down, engine starts chugging. Seems to run rich.It will only stay running if you give it gas.It will stall after about

5-10 mins of running.If I let it sit for 5 mins and restart it it runs fine.Runs great otherwise.

Over the past year I have: Replaced the electric choke(heat tube is still there as well) Complete tuneup (plugs,wires,cap,rotor,filters all Motorcraft parts) Replaced the coil Replaced the module Replaced the pickup in the distributor Replaced the power valve in the carb Replaced the EGR No Vacuum leaks Set up the choke as per manual and it functions fine Timing is on as well as the air/fuel mixture

Any ideas?

Reply to
1CAR2MANY

Does this have the Variable Venturi carb?

Reply to
Jim Warman

If memory serves.......probably a sticking choke inrichment thingy. Man its been a LONG time since I've seen aVV carb. (not complaining) ha!

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

After re-reading it, I'm starting to lean towards carb icing...maybe a bad heat riser valve or inoperative intake air stove... maybe a combination....When he let's it sit for 5 minutes and then it runs fine sounds like about enough time for the carb to thaw out...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Sounds like the inrichment thing is sticking to me. It simply floods out, kills it at idle. It heat sokes a little, inrichment lets go, car runs...thats my GUESS.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Thanks for your suggestions guys I really appreciate it.No it is not the infamous Variable Venturi carb.Just a plain old 2bbl motorcraft. The heat stove is intact.The flapper in the snorkel is working too.This was one of the first places I looked into.I didn't check the heat riser though.I'll check the riser and report back.Thanks again guys.

Reply to
1CAR2MANY