What's in a name?

Who knows what the thing is called, I've heard 5 different names for it already. It's not running bad, but it eats gas at the rate of 15 mpg, and that's only if I play nice with the gas pedal. I've seen it as low as 11
around town only. I do know that the vacuum line comes from the intake manifold to this valve/solinoid then to the EGR valve.