Wheel Alignment shop scams

Page 2 of 2
psycho snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Hahahahaha!
So do I, then I use the parts on other Fords. I'm am now ready to pull the engine & trans outta the 1984 CV. I will convert the front dress and pan to early-style and shove it into my 1973 Montego. The CV get's junked, the Monty get's sold, the Monty's 351C gets rebuilt for the 1968 Cougar. Got my weekends booked for a while.

--
Tom
TS3

Yea.. I guess I'm subhuman too.. '93 Taurus, '95 Rodeo..
Chuck
"no one" wrote

Cost savings are always a part of the equation, but the fact is that the geometry of a Mcpherson strut front suspension makes it less sensitive to camber/caster setting as far as pulling problems. You will just have to trust me on this, as I've had many years of aligment and front end experience at the dealership level. I've rarely seen a GM FWD vehicle (GM is what I work on) that needed adjustments to caster/camber for a pulling condition, unless there had been some sort of damage to components. And in that case you replaced components.

This really has nothing to do with frame design. Your 82 truck is probably just set up properly. Believe me, late model GM trucks had all sorts of alignment/wandering/pulling problems that were directly related to improper caster settings right from the factory. These trucks have a wide range of adjustment built right into the front suspension so that you can easily (well, once you have removed some knockouts) make camber/caster adjustments. During one stretch in the late 90's, almost every vehicle in the shop that had a pulling/tracking complaint was a truck, s/truck, or the M/L vans. These all have upper/lower control arm front suspension setups.

I suppose that if money is the issue, then yes, it's not really worth having to do a frame pull, if that's really what it needs. Just because you hit a pothole, usually doesn't mean that the frame will be out. If you can't bring the suspension back to factory spec with the adjustments that are available, then I would be looking for the damaged components more then a bent frame. If the Taurus has a separate subframe (which I think it does) often you can loosen the subframes and get some camber/caster movement be moving the subframe on the body. We often do this on the GM FWD vehicles and you would be amazed at how much movement you can get between the subframes and bodies.

He sounds pretty accomodating. If you can't get it exactly to the center of the factory spec range, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You just wouldn't want your cross camber, and/or cross caster measurements to be out of range.

Not much labor, as far the part, I don't have access to that info. It looks like about 2.0 hrs to R & R one strut.
Ian
Thanks for your thoughts and advice. It sounds like you have lots of experience on the GM equivilent of this issue.
I will hear from the shop tomorrow AM. I will have to figure out what to invest in what is now less than a $4000 car. We drive our cars until they drop and then a few years past. So, I will find out what the shop manager's confidence level is on a new strut. I guess my mishap of hitting the deep pot hole on the left and my wife's clipping right turns across the curbs for the rear right is not helpful for these cars. Blubump! I cringe every time! It does not help though....
Since you feel the car fram is probably not twisted, it seems that a new strut may be worthwhile.
I was perusing the GM group a few weeks ago.... reading that there was factory advise against any tinkering with alignment (SUV's I think) since the factory machines were so "precise". I guess precision is in the eye of the owner. Then again, perhaps they were referencing the available field tech skills and not based on what the alignment gear does in the hands of a knowing tech. Skill is not free but many times well worth the price.
Ian, thanks again for your thoughts.
No one in maryland