Wheel bearing noise on Taurus

My Taurus has bearing noise at 160k + miles. When the wheel is turned to the right the noise increases and dies out in a left turn, Am I correct in believing the left, driver side, has the bad bearing? If I replace the hub and sealed bearing, is it necessary to diconnect the tie rod?

- this is a 99 model -

Reply to
Moses

Why do you think it is the bearing instead of the CV joint?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Because it doesn't sound like CV.

Reply to
Moses

.

Anyway, take it to your mechanic. It could be the CV or bearing. It could be on either side, although it does sound like it is on the driver's side.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I had to do my '00 Sable front bearings at 145k . Corrosion froze them in, had to pull out support and beat out the old bearings. That requires disconnecting tie rod and lower ball joint. Lower ball joints where worn also so the front end got new ball joints, sway bar links, quick struts and the famous sway bar links. A almost complete rebuild. Not a job for the minimal experienced. Drives / rides like new again.

Reply to
Repairman