Wheel Cylinder Fluid Pipe which Measurement?

On a wheel cylinder brake fluid line pipe is it the inner measurement or the outer measurement you use to get a replacement pipe. I measured my outer measurement and
it measures 12/64=3/16. my vernier caliper is in 64ths.
Is this 3/16 the measurement to use?
Thanks in advance Denny B
yes, it is 3/16 line