wheel fell off my windstar

I'm driving a 96 Windstar down the highway 1 month after I replaced front rotors. I torqued the wheels to 100 ft-lbs as per Fords spec. I start feel
the front end shake, I slow from highway speed (120 km/hr) to 90. 15 minutes later it has gotten worse, I slow to 70 and put on the 4 way flashers. It seems to stop when I turn left, worse when I turn right. goes away when I accelerate, comes back when I coast . 15 minutes later the wheel (front drivers side) comes off and I end up pulled to the right shoulder. Thank you for 2 lane divided highway.
Is this type of accident (wheels coming off or torquing problems) a historical problem with windstars???
Mike
This fault is usually linked to the big nut behind the wheel.
--

Tom Line
tlineN0 snipped-for-privacy@iglou.com

a short distance. Just about any dealership, tire store or backyard mechanic worth its salt asks you to come back in 10 miles or so to re-torque the lugs after they've settled in. If this is your handiwork after replacing rotors you skipped an important step. I can't quote specific pages in Haynes, Chilton's, or any backyard associated books but they've always endorsed the idea of re-torquing after settling in.
Happy modeming, Bill
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:51:06 GMT, "berkshire bill"

The owners manual for my F250 (also covers F350/450/550) states:
On vehicles equipped with single rear wheels, retighten the lug nuts to the specified torque at 800 km (500 miles) after any wheel disturbance (tire rotation, changing a flat tire, wheel removal, etc.). On vehicles equipped with dual rear wheels, retighten the wheel lug nuts to the specified torque at 160 km (100 miles), and again at 800 km (500 miles) of new vehicle operation and after any wheel disturbance (tire rotation, changing a flat tire, wheel removal, etc.).
This is in the section of the manual immediately following the procedure on changing a flat tire.

Considering the above info, how come no dealer or other service establishment in my 38 years of driving has ever requested a return for retightening of the lug nuts? It seems they would be ripe for a lawsuit.
Noob

on a trip. So I am not to drive back after 100 miles into a 500 mile trip to have my wheels checked, especially on my trailer. Plus having to make an appointment and take time off from work (of course they could bill you a bunch to 10 minutes of work). I prefer to do my own.
Mike Neely

No it is more a problem of people, who work on their own vehicles, that don't know enough to top driving when it exhibits an obvious vibration problem. ;)
mike hunt
Mike and Kathy wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:54:54 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

I've had wheels come loose, but never off. On my own vehicles, when I put wheels on by hand ( no impact wrench) I now make it a habit to recheck the next day.

My mechanics always tell me to check my tires after 50 to 100 miles when they take them off to check the brakes, rotate, etc. Things settle after time so the bolts may come loose. That goes for all my vehicles and trailer.
Mike Neely