Wheel Problem?

    I'm trying to diagnose a problem I'm having. Currently when I drive sometimes either uphill or downhill, I get a whiney/wobbly sound
which seems like it's coming from the driver's side. It usually only happens uphill/downhill and if I change my speed up or down it will usually go away.
While trying to listen at other times, I noticed I hear a clicking sound when going slower on a normal road. It seems to click faster depending on how fast I am going.
At first thought, I think this may be a wheel bearing. If so, should I be able to confirm this simply by checking for any play in the wheel? If anyone thinks it's anything else, please give me a tip.
Thanks
Waiting wrote:

Is this on a Corvette?
Rob
trainfan1 wrote:

Sorry, this is on a 91 tempo. Including that would have helped ;)
FWD vehicle. Raise it and check the rubber boots on the outer CV joints, they might be cracked. Even if intact, the CV is probably worn just the same. On a 91 it's almost a given.

bushings in the lower control arms. This would give a "wobbly" feel while driving by letting the control arms move back and forth, especially on accelleration and decelleration. When they would get really bad, you would hear a clunk as the control arm hit the large washers on the sway bar.
Tom Adkins wrote:

Oops, you said sound not feel. I would agree with the others, inspect the CV joints for your clicking noise. Take a look at those bushings while you're there though.
I had that on my 1990 Escort GT, replaced the lower control arms/ball joints and sway bar bushings. It was worst when I rode on grooved pavement, I could feel the steering wheel vibrating real bad.
I used a come-along and some nylon straps to get the sway bar in and out of the control arms, worked great.
These cars are so simple, you can take the entire front suspension out in less than an hour if you know your way around.