When asking for help on here..

Make SURE to include ALL information! Country, Year, make, model, specific engine, previous related and near- related problems (like any changes/work done in vicinity, etc).
A recent problem posted by a reader resulted in others here knowing the cause despite it having stumped three different mechanics. But the response would have been even more certain and direct, if he had disclosed EVERY 'odd occurence'. This is understandable, we all are subject to certain assumptions that might seem unrelated, thus ignore them.
And please give us feedback on the resolution of the problem.. as it is, we seem to have a very good rate of success but we dont know if you dont tell us whether we were right or wrong. ALSO that adds to the knowledge base here, some of us work out HOW that occurs then remember it for the next time it comes up.
you pay..DEAL with it!
On Tue, 02 May 2006 13:58:32 GMT, Backyard Mechanic

BM,
I am a newbie to this group, and enjoy reading relevant posts, but it sure gets cluttered with trash.
Has there been any discussion as to making it a moderated group? Sure would help in keeping posts on topic.
Max
PS: seems to me that you would make an excellent moderator.

Actually there is very little 'trash' and 'noise' on here, for the moment at least. What any individual THINKS there is... may be or not, depending on your viewpoint.
As to Moderated Group .. I'm not in favor of it. There has been discussion of that from time to time over the last ten years, and there have been other groups and mail-lists that were moderated. Few are still around. Think of this as a group that has an interest in common and meets during happy hour at the bar. Folks come in and go out, at random... few rules, no dues and only a passing irritant now and then.
There's a danger in moderated groups because no one agrees with everyone else on even the core issues all the time. Sooner or later a group moderator either gets tired of the flack he gets or tired of the noise.
And the very act of 'moderating' generates friction. I can be called a 'blowhard', or opinionated and obtuse but cant take umbrage because someone disses my high exalted Mod position.
And I like it that way.
you pay..DEAL with it!
. ========Backyard Mechanic wrote:

and only a passing irritant now and then.

==================
^ ^ 0 0 L O
~:~ Marsh ~takes a sip of his crownroyal........surveys the room looking for irritants, trash, and random noise........~

Heh!
And here is the reason it shouldnt be moderated.. and, further, why I wouldnt be the mod:

Dunno how long or often Mr Day has been 'communing' on the 'net... but I'd wager when it's as long and often as I have and do, he'll take that back. I assure Mr Day and any others who may be chafed... it IS necessary.
There's no room for 'role-playing' in the long term. While individual replies and responses may irritate or even enrage; taken altogether they add up to credibility.
you pay..DEAL with it!
Do you really think anyone will read this?
Jeff
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

----------

Sorry, but you're wrong. I got an immediate response here and it was exactly right. So while you want to wag your wrench at me and feel all superior, it's not really necessary. Go find somebody else to feel superior to.
As for those who helped fix my problem, I am grateful. Thank you.

Umm... I think I was one of those...
I'm not trying to be 'all superior', dont be so sensitive. It was not personal and you are far from alone in not associating one thing with another. But it was an excellent example.
And note you DID come back and confirm the problem source. THAT is very much appreciated.
you pay..DEAL with it!

Yes, thank you.

I'm not being sensitive. You're being a jerk. But based upon your sig line, it's clear that you're aware of this. Here's a clue: it's not necessary.
see post above and then say he is wrong. that is the normal question.