When did Mondeos start using chipped keys?

I have lost the only set of keys to my 1994 Ford Mondeo (UK). I've broken in OK and I know how to hot wire a non-chipped car but I was wondering if anyone knew how I can tell if mine is chipped?
Alternatively can anyone suggest how I can get it going again? I don't want to spend too much on it as the car is only worth a couple of hundred pounds. Thanks.