When the Japanese Take over the the US Auto Industry the US will have Hell to pay

Page 1 of 4  
As the US consumer assists in helping the Japanese take over the US auto industry by wiping GM an Ford off the map thereby reducing all major competition I suspect the quality control to go down on these cars to an
extent. With the less competition with Ford and GM 6 feet under the Japanese would have won the war and finally put a close to WWII once and for all. Quality will fade and japan will more than likely begin to cut corners while racking in tremendous profit. Customer service as well as repair will probably also suffer. So all of the Americans who now suck up to Japanese car companies will realing know what sucking means when all is said and done.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Because, of course even IF the us auto manufacturers did 100% shut down, there's no korean, european, or upcoming chinese manufacturers to provide competition to the japanese brands.
you're friggin' brilliant, troll. JP
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

GM and Ford are the major competition for the Japanese in America. I am brilliant ...yes......a troll ..no.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Interestingly it is a competition between Quality and cutting corners There is nothing saying that even though GM will be bankrupt that it will stop Quality is winning and all manufacturers need better Quality to stay in the race Toyota is winning because of better Quality The other companies are learning from them more or less Cutting corners is no longer an option Even GM is not immune to the competition Only question is if GM will survive They will no longer be number one US car industry is gaining from this competition They had been cutting corners for too long
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I doubt quality has slipped in Japan simply because they have little competition. Their people demand quality. Americans demand different things. I'm in the minority on this I think, but I don't care much about fit and finish except if it's a sign of overall poor quality. I want something simple, low maintenance, reliable, easy to repair and that runs forever. That also seems to make me the manufacturer's least valued customer.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I think you are wrong, for years Japan has been the guinea pig for japanese cars. They were building and selling shitty cars to there own people first to iron out all the bugs before introducing them to the US. That has been there history and it is a fact. Look it up. So the japanese people were driving troublesome cars that were fixed then introduced here.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I don't think this is supportive. I lived in Japan for three years and saw many wonderful cars/SUVs before the US ever heard of SUV. They were also very good vehicles, including the one's I owned. This opinion below doesn't hold water especially when one considers the registration process that Japanese cars go through. Keeping a car in Japan gets real expensive after five years due to the registration /safety (sic) process. If anything, their gov't is making the auto machine run by forcing their people to start looking for a new car after 3 years. Hey! They never get to the point where the cars fall apart, unless they are rich and then they don't care. Look that up.
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Dont expect that you are going to see the under belly of Japan just because you lived there for 3 years. Do some studying on how Japan developed its cars for the US market place.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
What utter and complete nonsense. The Japanese automobile customer does not tolerate poor quality. If they did, the several attempts by GM to export cars in numbers to Japan would have succeeded and not failed miserably like they have.
You cannot possibly actually believe what you wrote.
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I know I can't believe the crap that has come from your keyboard tonight. *PLONK*
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Bob, you need to do a bit of research about auto ownership in Japan.
Japan requires very strict vehicle inspections. As a result, vehicles in Japan are usually scrapped after they are about 6 years old, because it's not cost effective to repair them. And we are talking they get out the micrometers to measure bearing wear.
Why is it done this way? Well, the vehicle manufacturers have pressured the government into this so as to force obsolescense and sell a lot more cars.
Also, the Japanese culture and people are such that the culture prefers home grown products over imports. Keep in mind that it hasn't yet been a century since Japan lost to the United States in WWII. And this is a culture that one of their biggest festivals - Obon - takes a week and it's sole purpose is to honor deceased ancestors. A lot of Japanese feel subconsciously that buying American is dishonoring ancestors who were killed in WWII or fought Americans in WWII.
In the United States the culture is completely different than in Japan. It is very common for Americans to project their culture on everyone else. It is doubtful in the US for example that anyone under the age of 20 could even tell you if any of their grandparents fought in WWII let alone which ones. This is a strength of the American culture because it makes it a lot easier for us to forgive and forget and move on with life. But it puts blinders on us when we try to understand other cultures, particularly ones that have many many thousands of years of history. You must understand that the Japanese culture is very very different than the US. This is, after all, a society where 30% of the homes have toilets that cost $1000 and have computers in them. (and I'm not talking computers that you type on, if you want to see a Japanese toilet control panel see here: http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/techno/toilet/washlet.html )
Ted
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Remember, that Japan restricts the entry of foreign automobile into their country. It is extremely difficult to enter the Japanese market, unlike the US.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
First of all, it is not easy to gain entry to the U.S. market. Their are EPA and NHTSA hurdles that are significant...like crashing cars and gathering data.
I do not know that the equivalent Japanese restrictions are harder or easier, but there is also the matter of them driving on the other side of the road from us. I do know that the restrictions were eased years ago from what they were. I doubt that they ever had a 25% tariff on pick-up trucks like we did for years, by way of comparison.
European brands do quite well in Japan because owning something like a Bimmer or Merc is very prestigious in Japan. Few American brands are considered prestigious and most of what the U.S. brands have been making is simply too large to sell in Japan. The country is very congested, streets are narrow, and your typical U.S. truck or medium sized sedan or mini-van would not fit there. Eve if the quality were of a level that they are used to.
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You have to admit that the UAW is squeezing the hell out of American companies. If they could get that monkey of they back they could be much more competitive dollar wise.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

There is some truth to this argument, and the unions have to realize they need to offer concessions to help be part of the solution or they're just going to be the final straw that breaks GM. However, it's not all to be laid at the feet of organized labor. We're not here to argue the necessity of unions or not in todays world, but 30+ years of GM & ford management have agreed to the flawed plans that led to this place.
JP
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
As a retired maintenance man from GM I have to agree with you. If the UAW contracts are destroying Ford and GM, why didn't management use some of their lawyers to find how these would affect future profitablity. They most likely figured the the goose would always lay golden eggs. I don't see anything sinister about their decisions, just stupidity. For example look at the Aztec.

-
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

News==----
Newsgroups
=----
*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No lawyers, good business financial planners. Yes they obviously were looking short term and gave it to the unions when money was flowing in. Unfortunately GM places too much emphasis on volume of sales, but GMAC loves big sales.
As for the Aztec, I still can't stand it. I feel almost as negative about the Chrysler 300 styling.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
OK, I bow to no one in my contempt for idiotic past GM management (can you say R-o-g-e-r S-m-i-t-h), but to be fair what these clowns were trying to do was buy a degree of labor peace (get longer term contracts avoiding the threat of costly annual strikes) with money and benefits that they could not afford long term. The UAW always had an ace up its sleeve. They could strike one manufacturer, while it's members in the other two kept paying dues that went into strike pay for the strikers. Plus, as I recall - may be wrong, the strikers could get unemployment benefits from the government. Pretty good stacking of the deck against the manufacturer, no?
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

do
not
strike
that
the
Would be if it were true. I guess you're not above posting bullshit, either.
Dave
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.