Where's the blinker relay on a 95 Grand Marquis?

My mother-in-law has a 1995 Grand Marquis. Recently the turn signals and tail lights quit working. I opened the fuse panel, saw the blinker relay was missing, and bought a new one. But when I tried to plug it in, it fell
right back out. After pulling the entire fuse panel down, I discovered there isn't even a wiring harness running to the relay socket?
So where the heck is the blinker relay? I had my wife and brother-in-law searching the car with me last weekend and we never could find it. The owners manual say's it's in the fuse panel but there isn't even wiring for it there. I bought a Chilton repair manual for the car, but the wiring doesn't match the manual at all.
There's a small fuse box under the hood near the battery, but I removed all three relay's in it and everything kept working? I have no idea what those control.
We finally discovered if we turned the emergency flasher on, the blinkers and tail lights will work? Weird, but at least it's driveable now. Of course, that means there's no emergency flasher.
There seem to be fuses, relays, and switches all over that car. So where are the flasher relays located?
Anthony
Very likely, you need to replace the turn signal switch. It's called the multi-function switch. It's not a horrible job - many places on the web to find out how -
PoD