Where's the flying Pinto?

We know, but more than half of what Toyota sells in the US are imported. The rest are merely "Assembled in the US of world sourced parts," as they say in their TV ads. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Toyota sells 2,500,000 cars each year in North American and about 1,500,000 are built in N.A. THat is more than 50%.

I don't know what they say in the thier ads.

Toyota buys more the $28,000,000,000 worth of North American parts and supplies every year.

The Toyota Sienna has more N.A. content than the Mustang.

To say that most cars from import brands that are assembled in the US are assembled from foreign parts is incorrect.

The reality is that all the big car makers (DC, GM, Ford, Toyota, BMW, Peugeot, Nissan, Honda) are all global companies working the global marketplace. And they know that they are better off buiding cars close to where they sell them.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

In only one country and is not what is needed for general family use.

Reply to
who

I guess we can assume you do not live in Texas, fight? LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

We know you would like to believe that, but the majority are purchased from other, US corporate tax free, Japanese corporations like Denso Global, Bridgestone, Nippon Steel etc. or from Canadian suppliers who assemble the component parts. imported from low wage counties around the world, to meet the criteria as being Canadian. Except for the Toyotas built in the GM/Toyota plant in California, that display a '1,' most do not meet the standard for made in the US, or they too would exhibit a '1,' rather than a '4' as does the Camry and Sienna or a '5' as does the Tundra.

Honda and Nissan are the only Japanese companies that actually builds vehicles, car and trucks, in the US that exhibit a '1.' It was a complaint to the FTC by Honda that made Toyota change their ad for made in America, to what they now say.......'Assembled in America of world sourced parts,' whether you want to 'know' what they say in their TV ads or not. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Can you provide evidence of this? I mean that the parts that it buys are not made in North America? I don't care who owns the companies. Just who actually puts them together. Toyota buys about $28,000,000,000 worth parts and services in the US every eyar.

Actually, the later Siennas have '5'.

Yet the Toyota Sienna is 90% North American Content. And the Ford Mustang, which is about 65% North American Content, has a 1. Furthermore, all Mercury Mountianeer has a '4' while the Ford Explorer has a '1', despite the fact that they are built on the same assembly line with about 90% North American content. They might have slightly different interiors and a different badge, but not enough to explain a 30% content difference. And the Linocoln Navigator (a '5') and the Ford Expidition ('1') both have similar content, certainly not enough to explain over 30% differnce in content.

The first character of the VIN has nothing to do with content. If it does, please provide evidence, other than your flaky memory.

Another question: If the VIN # is determined by US content, why does the FTC require 75% US content to be called made in the US? Wouldn't you think they would use the same standard?

And why does a Mustang, with only 65% North American content, have a VIN starting with a '1'?

Your hypothesis that the first digit specifies % US content doesn't hold water.

You have to provide any information that we can verify that leads us to believe you, please post links to it.

Until then or you actually make sense, I won't respond to you in these thread?

Reply to
Jeff

I can actually say "Ive flown in a Ford"... and not many here can say that, I think.

Yes, it was the aircraft version of a model T.. but what would you expect, it was the archtype of the 'used for everything' aircraft, succeeded by the C-47 which I've flown in once and hated, and THEN by the C-130 which I flew in as aircrew and LOVE.. the greatest aircraft EVER BUILT!

Note when I flew in the Trimotor in 73, it was a curiosity... only one flying in the US .. and it was younger then than the C-130 is now and the C-130 is still in production after 50 years.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Is that the one that was near Sandusky/Port Clinton, OH? I heard that it was damaged in the early 90s by a minor(?) crash. I don't know if it was ever repaired.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Once I hit a speedbump way to fast in my Contour... Does that count?

I thought the greatest aircraft ever built was the space shuttle. With rockets and all. Silly me.

Apparently, there is N8407 that you can fly in over Oshkosh (WI?) and N9645 that still flies at airshows.

There was one in Kalamazoo, MI that you were able to fly on for just $45 (N8419), but it was not flying for repairs.

And the N414H, which is air-worthy, but on loan to an Arizona museum. Apparently, it still flies.

So, apparently, there is one being rebuilt, one that needs repairs and three others that still fly in the US. Apparently, there are none outside the US.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

That's the one I flew in,,

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

read this carefully:

That was then, now is now, and IIRC there were several being flown OUTSIDE the US near that time.

I flew that when it was actually an 'air-taxi' from Port Clinton to Put- In-Bay. Other passengers with grocery bags, etc.

Yes I saw that trimotor site, too.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yeah you said, "only one flying in the US." I wasn't sure if you meant then or now. No biggie, though.

Either way, you can now take your pick of three to fly one. And maybe more, soon.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

There was a long time(70s-80s ?) when the Trimotor that BY is talking about WAS the only one flying in the US. That was it's claim to fame. It was also a survivor, unrestored original. Since that time, others have been restored and put into various types of service. It's goo to see that folks have taken an interest in those planes. They were close to extinction.

Reply to
Tom Adkins