Where's the flying Pinto?

Page 2 of 2
We know, but more than half of what Toyota sells in the US are imported. The rest are merely "Assembled in the US of world sourced parts," as they
say in their TV ads. ;)
mike

We know you would like to believe that, but the majority are purchased from other, US corporate tax free, Japanese corporations like Denso Global, Bridgestone, Nippon Steel etc. or from Canadian suppliers who assemble the component parts. imported from low wage counties around the world, to meet the criteria as being Canadian. Except for the Toyotas built in the GM/Toyota plant in California, that display a '1,' most do not meet the standard for made in the US, or they too would exhibit a '1,' rather than a '4' as does the Camry and Sienna or a '5' as does the Tundra.
Honda and Nissan are the only Japanese companies that actually builds vehicles, car and trucks, in the US that exhibit a '1.' It was a complaint to the FTC by Honda that made Toyota change their ad for made in America, to what they now say.......'Assembled in America of world sourced parts,' whether you want to 'know' what they say in their TV ads or not. ;)
mike

right here, but I Dont think its a Ford.....
http://www.earlyaviators.com/emartins2.htm

Pinto was the name of the guy flying the plane.
However, Ford did make a trimotor airplane back before I was even a smile on my father's face.
Jeff

I can actually say "Ive flown in a Ford"... and not many here can say that, I think.
Yes, it was the aircraft version of a model T.. but what would you expect, it was the archtype of the 'used for everything' aircraft, succeeded by the C-47 which I've flown in once and hated, and THEN by the C-130 which I flew in as aircrew and LOVE.. the greatest aircraft EVER BUILT!
Note when I flew in the Trimotor in 73, it was a curiosity... only one flying in the US .. and it was younger then than the C-130 is now and the C-130 is still in production after 50 years.
you pay..DEAL with it!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Is that the one that was near Sandusky/Port Clinton, OH? I heard that it was damaged in the early 90s by a minor(?) crash. I don't know if it was ever repaired.

That's the one I flew in,,
you pay..DEAL with it!

Once I hit a speedbump way to fast in my Contour... Does that count?

I thought the greatest aircraft ever built was the space shuttle. With rockets and all. Silly me.

Apparently, there is N8407 that you can fly in over Oshkosh (WI?) and N9645 that still flies at airshows.
There was one in Kalamazoo, MI that you were able to fly on for just $45 (N8419), but it was not flying for repairs.
http://www.fordtrimotor.org/where.php?p=n6
And the N414H, which is air-worthy, but on loan to an Arizona museum. Apparently, it still flies.
http://www.grandcanyonairlines.com/gca/show_article.aspx?article_id
So, apparently, there is one being rebuilt, one that needs repairs and three others that still fly in the US. Apparently, there are none outside the US.
Jeff

read this carefully:

That was then, now is now, and IIRC there were several being flown OUTSIDE the US near that time.
I flew that when it was actually an 'air-taxi' from Port Clinton to Put- In-Bay. Other passengers with grocery bags, etc.
Yes I saw that trimotor site, too.
you pay..DEAL with it!

Yeah you said, "only one flying in the US." I wasn't sure if you meant then or now. No biggie, though.
Either way, you can now take your pick of three to fly one. And maybe more, soon.
Jeff

Jeff wrote:

There was a long time(70s-80s ?) when the Trimotor that BY is talking about WAS the only one flying in the US. That was it's claim to fame. It was also a survivor, unrestored original. Since that time, others have been restored and put into various types of service. It's goo to see that folks have taken an interest in those planes. They were close to extinction.