Which Brake Fluid DOT 3 or DOT 4 ?

Which is the correct glycol based brake fluid for a 1981 Ford Fairmont 6 cyl ? Front disc's. Rear drum's.

Is it DOT 3 or DOT 4

The Haynes book I have does not say.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Denny B

"Denny B" wrote

Nothing on page 25? Under "Recommended lubricants and fluids"? It says Extra Heavy Duty Brake Fluid (or Dot 3) in my book. Dot 4 has a higher boiling point, but either will work fine.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster, thank you for your correction, you are absolutely correct, there is what you state on page 25. I have no excuses missing that even though I spent a considerable amount of time searching for that info.

Thanks kindly Denny B

"MasterBlaster" > Rear drum's.

Reply to
Denny B

Might as well use DOT 4, since the DOT 4 fluids that I have seen on the shelf do not cost much more, are compatible with DOT 3, and fulfill DOT 3 requirements, but have higher dry and wet boiling points.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee