Which Transmission fluid

I got a 1979 F150 with a 400 engine. 4WD pickup. The transmission is a C6. I am hoing to change the filter and fluid. I am getting conflicting stories from local parts stores. Do I need type F fluid, or can I use Mercon III ?

Thanks

Reply to
anoldfart2

Dexron/Mercon type fluid tends to be a somewhat better lubricating fluid for the C-series of trans.

However, if you want firmer shifts, use type F.

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

You NEED type F - Dexron is quick & sure death for the C-6.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

You NEED type F - Dexron is quick & sure death for the C-6.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Ford change the clutch disc and fluid spec after the 1976 model year. If the trans is a 1977 up, it should use the Dexron/Mercon spec fluid. You should also find this on the dipstick. The current version of this is the Dexron III/Mercon spec. Do not use the Mercon V spec in the C6.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Thanks to all that replied. The dipstick says to use ESP-M2C138-CJ What the heck is that?????

Thanks

Reply to
anoldfart2

Doing a Google search turned up this and 1000's of other hits.

SC Tom

like it's Mercon/ DexronIII.

This is from the Lincoln forum group: "From the 1979 Continental Mark V Owners Manual - 2nd Printing - 11/78

D7AZ-19582-A FORD ATF ESP-M2C138-CJ, or Dexron II Series D Fluid"

Reply to
SC Tom

Holy cats, I did not realize it was that long ago.

Rob