Which Transmission fluid

I got a 1979 F150 with a 400 engine. 4WD pickup. The transmission is a C6. I am hoing to change the filter and fluid. I am getting conflicting stories from local parts stores. Do I need
type F fluid, or can I use Mercon III ?
Thanks
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:05:38 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote:

Dexron/Mercon type fluid tends to be a somewhat better lubricating fluid for the C-series of trans.
However, if you want firmer shifts, use type F.
-LMB
Louis M. Brown wrote:

You NEED type F - Dexron is quick & sure death for the C-6.
Rob
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote:

You NEED type F - Dexron is quick & sure death for the C-6.
Rob
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:05:38 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote:

Ford change the clutch disc and fluid spec after the 1976 model year. If the trans is a 1977 up, it should use the Dexron/Mercon spec fluid. You should also find this on the dipstick. The current version of this is the Dexron III/Mercon spec. Do not use the Mercon V spec in the C6.
Lugnut

Thanks to all that replied. The dipstick says to use ESP-M2C138-CJ What the heck is that?????
Thanks

SC Tom
http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/images/products/Liquimatic%20Super%20ATF.pdf Looks like it's Mercon/ DexronIII.
This is from the Lincoln forum group: "From the 1979 Continental Mark V Owners Manual - 2nd Printing - 11/78
D7AZ-19582-A FORD ATF ESP-M2C138-CJ, or Dexron II Series D Fluid"
lugnut wrote:

Holy cats, I did not realize it was that long ago.
Rob
If the trans is a 1977 up, it should use the