Which transmission will work?

I have a 1993 F150 two wheel drive pickup with 4.9L inline 6 engine and a bad E4OD tranny. I'm trying to buy a remanufactored tranny and am getting conflicting stories about which tranny will fit and which will not. Some say that only 93 - 95 transmissions will work while others say that 89 - 97 will be just fine. Some say that I must stay with the same year and engine as mine while others say many years and engine sizes will bolt right up. Frankly, I don't know who to trust especially since some of these people are trying to sell me something.

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated! gadmo

Reply to
gadmo

92-93-94 F150/F250/F350 4.9/5.0/5.8 & 92-93-94 E150/E250/E350 4.9/5.0/5.8 2 Wheel Drive E4OD are exact fit replacements.

If you are buying a reman, just order the one for your vehicle... let them supply you with the correct unit.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

There are several years that will physically bolt in. The

300/4.9L six has the same bolt pattern as the 5.0/5.8L engines. There are physical differences in some of the internal mechanicals with respect to the number of clutch plates and other details which determine the load capacity of the trans. The torque converters are also different to match it to the various engine power charateristics. The 5.0L has a higher stall speed than the other versions which is well above the power band of the 300. The electronics are also a bit different on the various versions. Your '93 IIRC is the same as the F150 and has the trans controlled by the ECM whereas, the earlier versions had a separate TCM and the '96 up is integrated into the OBD2 system. Your biggest concern will be electronic compatibility with your ECM. An E4OD with compatible electronics is your only option unless you wish to embark on a mission of experimentation. If you are looking for a used unit, beware that the E4OD experienced several problems in those years and your chances of getting a good used one are not much better than 50/50. If you choose to go this route, make sure you consult the Hollanders manual which will have the correct interchanges along with any acceptable substitutions and whatever mods will be required to use them.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut
92, 93 & 94 ym are the only drop in replacements; And the 5.0 and 5.8 have the same bell housing, but the torque converter is different; the 7.5 has a different bell housing, same with the diesel so it looks like you are stuck with finding one from a 4.9. Up to 91, the shift linkage was entirely different, and after 94 the electrical connectors will not interchange. But you don't have to take anyones word for it. As mentioned, if buying a reman, just use the tag info from yours to get the right one; from a boneyard, their interchange book will get you the right one. Good Luck
Reply to
Ted

You could put a stick in there and be done with electronics as far as the trans is concerned. I suspect an AOD might work too.

My next door neighbor got a similar runaround with regard to his Dodge. He fixed it by de-electronifying his V8 Magnum engine and using the earlier automatic four speed. He then took it to the stealer to show them. I don't know Fords that well but usually there is a way to beat the system so to speak.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

If he wanted to "de-electronify", he could indeed use a manual, C-6 or AOD, (heck, a C-4 for that matter)but it looked to me that he merely wanted a replacement E4OD. I did not consider my answer to be any kind of "run around", just the facts as I know them. And BTW, the E4OD is by far the best choice.

Reply to
Ted