Whistle from air filter (85 460 4bbl.)

I get this whistle noise from the air cleaner on my 1985 E350 460 4 barell carb depends on load, rpm. I know it is from there cause I take the lid off it don't whistle (it roars). I replaced the gasket between it and the carb, new air filter and no matter how tight I get the wing nut it don't go away. What's up with that? It is a van so no room for any other air filter I know of, it is the old round type. Hoses look ok going to it. Dave

Reply to
John Doe

I've seen a lot of intake whistles result from loose carb to manifold bolts or bad base gaskets... any other gaskets subject to vacuum or some other sort of [ressure differential.... These can be a PITA to find...

Reply to
Jim Warman

"John Doe" wrote in news:qj1Ze.1283$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

  1. study up on how a tin-whistle works

  1. if the whistle INCREASES as engine load increases (more air drawn through), then the problem is indeed in the filter assy or hoses leading to it. - have you tried disconnecting the snorkle hose?

Remove the filter housing and cover all INTERNAL joints and sharp edges with a thin coat of RTV.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic wrote in news:Xns96DB6C3E161BBpettyfogery@207.115.63.158:

odds are pretty good you have a seperate vaccume leak, not a air cleaner related issue at all. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Kevin Bottorff wrote

Which would explain #2 "if", huh Kevin?

If the whistle increases with vacuum then you are right.

But try to follow me here... he said "if I take off the cover, it doesnt whistle, it ROARS!"

Now Think hard.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for all replies. I won't have chance to look at it until sometime next week but will keep you posted. It is ok at idle, then as you go faster accelerating you get a whirr that turns into a whistle and increases in pitch until it is so high pitched .you would need a dog to hear it I guess or it goes away. So, it is load that does it it won't do it just reving engine. Have Motorcraft filter to try. I will pull off the snorkel and check the carb and manifold bolts but it runs fine. I just relized previous owner put in Edelbrock intake manifold and headers- it can't handle it!!?? Will look for race car air filter to fit my van- I don't need a race car though I need gas mileage. (might explain why the gasket was missing and the wing nut loose when I bought it, so it wouldn't wihstle)

Reply to
John Doe

Backyard Mechanic wrote in news:Xns96DBA4632A391pettyfogery@207.115.63.158:

All right I will walk your dumb butt through it. with the air cleaner lid on he hears a whistle. with it off he can`t hear it at all because the dam lid is off and all he hears is the carb roar. It is still the same he just doesn`t hear it. Besides that the 85 van has a bunch of vacuume lines right by his rt side leg under the inside hood making it very easy to hear them. I have seen it many times. also the vaccume resevore is metal wich is a known trouble spot. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Kevin Bottorff wrote in news:Xns96DBDADB4602kevynetinsnet@167.142.225.136:

Well, read the reply... it is flow related, thus the lower the vacuum, the louder it is. Pretty much rules out a vacuum leak.

Okay?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

"John Doe" wrote

study up on how a tin-whistle works

..if the whistle INCREASES as engine load increases (more air drawn through), then the problem is indeed in the filter assy or hoses leading to it. Air flow increases with load to the point where eddying cuts across a sharp edge, acting like a tin whistle

Remove the filter housing and cover all INTERNAL joints and sharp edges with a thin coat of RTV. And make sure the cover gasket is intact and making contact....if that doesnt stop it, then the problem is probably further out to the air pickup

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic