whoppling front end 96 ranger

When I come to a stop when applying the brakes, my 4x4 96 ford ranger shakes back and forth. I put on new pads and that didn't really help. Would the be a rotor problem (I plan on putting on new rotors) or a ball
joint problem. Balencing? It doesn't pull to either side just a whobble. Sometimes at higher speeds without braking.
Thanks
T Mac opined in

tie rods, wheel balance, bearings.. any or all together with rotors
Start with the rotors. If they are out of round they will induce exactly what you describe. While you're at it, check the drums too. You can have someone drive behind you and check for wheel wobble when you brake. If they see it, have them note which wheel and go from there.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow