Why are American cars still so unreliable.

Page 2 of 5

dbltap wrote:

Major snip

The trans is just fine, proper maintenance seems to have kept it as it should be.
I hope your ability to pick stocks for your retirement is better than your guess work on cars you have not seen :)
dbltap wrote:

record, seen lots of Taurus's, mine included (well maintained) and it only made it 80k. (cracked drum, not really a maintance problem just crappy parts I guess). I guess you could say transmissions with 100k on them are alot like picking stocks, alot of guessing on how they will hold up. :)

Ya pays ur money and takes ur chance :))
25

Wrong on all counts. over 13 of 34 years of exclusively on Jap cars. GM is in third place now - so SOMEONE is selling more than them. Guess who???

The domestic I have owned were just as good as the imports I've owned. the only difference I have found between them is the domestics cost much less to buy and replace. That is why all my vehicles since 1999 have been domestics LOL
mike

Well put.
On 9 Jul 2006 09:44:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You should have said, in my opinion. Apparently a lot of buyers do not agree with your personal opinion of American vehicles, they buy millions more of them every year than any import brand. LOL
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

Well, lets see. Take out the trucks... which no foreign manufacturer is good at making a fullsize truck (don't make any), and we're left with 4 of the top 5 cars being foreign. Two toyotas and two hondas.
The truck sales make sense, since for every truck, there is about 10 cars , vans , mini trucks, or halfbreeds.
I would have thought hondas would be above the toyotas, but I knew toyota was creeping to number 1.
Ford F-Series 334,725
Chevrolet Silverado 258,378
Toyota Camry 177,090
Toyota Corolla/Matrix 159,992
Dodge Ram 150,799
Honda Accord 145,529
Honda Civic 138,744
Chevrolet Impala 114,014
Dodge Caravan 103,876
Nissan Altima 102,785

I feel the big difference is the care or attention lavished on "foreign" cars. Most of the folks I know who buy new cars like Hondas.Toyotas, Nissans etc., have them routinely serviced at the dealer. Most people who buy "American" have a different mind set about service and can't wait to take there car to jiffy lube or the like. My Uncles Honda goes to the "dealer" 4 times a year. The dealer replace parts routinely, the big difference is they don't bill him for the parts or in some cases even tell him they replaced things. Every American dealer that replaces something make a to do about it when you pick up the car...
Working in the aftermarket and seeing a lot of used cars that need service I'd say there'd all about the same. The big thing I think is to check your local "auto trader" and see how many clean reliable 20 year old American cars versus the "foreign cars" if the Foreign cars have 33% of the market new they should have 33% of the used market not 10 % as represented by these ads
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:45:47 GMT, "walt peifer"

than unloading them when they get too expensive to keep on the road. With the Japs, they usually end up in the scrapyard when something MAJOR finally lets go, like the subframes fall off. The owner says "it doesn't owe me anything" and away it goes. The American owner, after spending $1000 on brakes, $600 on intake manifold, $400 on ball joints, $1400 on wheel bearings, and 300 on a timing belt,(and possibly $2400 on trasmission overhaul) finally sells it for $1500 when it needs, say, an alternator or muffler and he can't see spending another dime on the "money pit" 20 years is also a bit far down the road - in 1986 the Japs still had a small toe-hold on the market.Look at 10 years back.

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

20 is certainly too far, 10 is more reasonable. i mena, even 15 years ago would be too far.
walt peifer wrote:

If you think foreign car sales were the same today as they were 20 years ago you are crazy.
Furthermore, people drive their foreign cars longer than people keep their domestic vehicles. You go in to a toyota dealer, and TRY to get a used tacoma... they're near impossibe.
Any day of the week i could go to ford or chev and choose from 20 odd trucks.

are there, they are DONE, usually mashed almost beyond recognition, while there are MANY virtually undamaged American vehicles that just got too expensive to keep on the road (or couldn't pass emmissions)

<clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message wrote: (...)

Actually, catalytic converters clog up on Japanese cars, too. In some states, if the car doesn't pass emissions, after you spend a certain amount on repairing the emissions, your car passes automatically. And, in California, if you car is over a certain age, the state will buy it just to get it off the road.
Jeff

There are lots of cars that won't pass WITH a new cat. The "exemption" on emmissions for repair cost lets you drive a car, but not sell it. The Cat is often the least cost repair when it comes to emmissions.

Ford sells trucks by the millions annually, Toyota only by the hundreds of thousands ;)
mike hunt

"Mike Hunter" wrote

So, you're saying Ford trucks only last a year before they have to be replaced? ;) * 2 !
You are kidding. right? ;)
mike hunt