Why are American cars still so unreliable.

The Japanese made few cars before WWII. And the cars that they did make were not imported until the late 60s and early 70s. Perhaps that is why there are many Japanese cars in the old auto shows.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

(...)

Actually, catalytic converters clog up on Japanese cars, too. In some states, if the car doesn't pass emissions, after you spend a certain amount on repairing the emissions, your car passes automatically. And, in California, if you car is over a certain age, the state will buy it just to get it off the road.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Whah, I don't agree with someone so I'm gonna call them brain damaged. Well at least I'm not Brain DEAD.

Reply to
ForiegnCarHatinFordMan

"Mike Hunter" wrote

So, you're saying Ford trucks only last a year before they have to be replaced? ;) * 2 !

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Reply to
dbltap

Actually, Toyota sold about 77,000 trucks last month, a pace of about

930,000 per year. Add to that the Scion and Lexus division's sales, and you've got over 1,000,000 trucks per year. It should be noted that the Toyota truck sales include SUVs.

If you include just pickup trucks, I think you have about 500,000 units per year sold.

What's the difference between Toyota's and Ford's truck sales? Toyota's are going up, Ford's are going down.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Really then how come there are so many domestics, British, German and Italian car form the 60s and 70s and even the 80s at car shows but hardly any Jap cars?

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are kidding. right? ;)

mike hunt

"MasterBlaster" replaced?

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The Ford F150 is the best selling single vehicle on the planet, around a million annually, and has been for over 28 years. Ford sells more F Series trucks alone, not counting SUVs than Toyota sells cars, trucks and SUVs combined. GM sells even more trucks than Ford, but not as one brand like Ford. They are sold as Chevys and GMCs. Toyotas Camry is the number one selling mid size car of one brand but GM sells more mid size cars, but under several brands. GM, Ford and Chryslers full size trucks outsell the Camry as well.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

First the cars were not popular at the time except for the VW Beetle. Also the Japanese cars (with the exception of the 240Z) had/have not style, no emotional connection to them. I always think of Japanese cars as appliances, reliable, but nothing to look at and stir your emotions.

Reply to
Dave

You mean like Kaisers, Nashs, Studebakers etc? The real reason I suspect is the parts are so hard to get, expensive and the car so bland that nobody wants to spend the time and effort to keep them running. But you are correct about those that buy them. People that read CR rather than MT LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The Honda S2000 is pretty cool. So is the Mazda Miata. Of course, that is reminds one of a British car.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I remember some cool Datsuns in the 70's.. but around my area they all rusted out extremely quickly and the owners junked them.

Reply to
Steve Stone

There are lots of cars that won't pass WITH a new cat. The "exemption" on emmissions for repair cost lets you drive a car, but not sell it. The Cat is often the least cost repair when it comes to emmissions.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I think those were the Datsun 240Z or something like.

Why the Datsun brand was scrapped in favor of the Nisson brand, I don't know.

A marketing disaster.

Actually, Nisson should probably resurrect the brand, at least as a model.

But that is a discussion for another group.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I wouldn't buy a toyota truck, because i like a fullsize.

But they are a diehard truck (used to be, we'll see how these new > Ford sells trucks by the millions annually, Toyota only by the hundreds of

Reply to
Picasso

They weren't imported to north America, or they are not collectible. Use your head for more than a hat rack.

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
Picasso

Actually American cars are fairly reliable, and it's mostly Honda, Toyota, and maybe Subaru that make Japanese cars seem better in this respect. Nissan and GM are about on par with each other.

Reply to
rantonrave

That doesn't say anything about their quality or reliability.

Reply to
rantonrave

Surely you are not suggesting high sales figures are indicative of poor quality are you? If the quality of Japanese trucks was even near to that of those sold by GM and Ford they would sell far more of them.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter