Why are American cars still so unreliable.

Page 3 of 5

The Ford F150 is the best selling single vehicle on the planet, around a million annually, and has been for over 28 years. Ford sells more F Series trucks alone, not counting SUVs than Toyota sells cars, trucks and SUVs combined. GM sells even more trucks than Ford, but not as one brand like Ford. They are sold as Chevys and GMCs. Toyotas Camry is the number one selling mid size car of one brand but GM sells more mid size cars, but under several brands. GM, Ford and Chryslers full size trucks outsell the Camry as well.
mike hunt

I wouldn't buy a toyota truck, because i like a fullsize.
But they are a diehard truck (used to be, we'll see how these new ones pan out)
Mike Hunter wrote:

Mike Hunter wrote:

That doesn't say anything about their quality or reliability.
Surely you are not suggesting high sales figures are indicative of poor quality are you? If the quality of Japanese trucks was even near to that of those sold by GM and Ford they would sell far more of them.
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

I'm glad you didn't twist my words around.

How long have GM and Ford been selling large pickups in the U.S? How long have Japanese companies been doing that?
(...)

Ford has been selling Pickups since Mike Hunter was in diapers (Ford made a model A pickup).
GM has been making pickups for a long time, too, probably since before the war Mike fought in.

Toyota has been selling pickups in the US since the early 70s. However, Toyota made only small pickups, back then. I think the biggest pickup Toyota sells, the Tundra, is considered a midsize pickup. The only other Japanese automakers to sell a pickup that I am aware of are Subura (the Brat), Mazda B-series and the Honda Ridgeline, which is a midsize pickup. The Brat was a small pickup, and the Mazda B-series was about the same size as the Ranger (in fact the later models are rebadged Rangers - I am not sure about the earlier ones).
Besides the Japanese pickups, the only pickups I can remember ever being imported were some VW pickups a while back.
Jeff
You forget to mention the best of the Jap pickups, the Nissan Titan. Unlike the Tundra, the Titan is actually made in this county, in Tennessee, but it is way overpriced vis a v Ford and GM to compete. The Mazda B-series is a rebaged Ford Ranger with a longer warranty and a higher price. The Honda Ridgeline can hardly be considered a truck, it is built off a FWD car chassis, that is why it only comes in AWD, thus nothing more than a crossover like the Subaru 4 dr 'truck'
mike hunt

Early Ford compact pickups were rebadged Mazdas.(can't remember the name) Mitsubishi sells pickups in North America too (some were sold as Dodges), as does NISSAN.

ISUZU (P'Up and Chevy LUV), and a few Peugot 403s 404s and 504s? and Citroens. Also some lesser models that could ALMOST be called pickups, like the UniMog. I've likely missed a few others as well.

I totally forgot about the Isuzus.My uncle even owned one. I even remember it idiot who used to do their ads (Joe Isuzu).
The Peugeot 404 and 504 were cars, not trucks. I don't think Peugeot ever imported trucks or even made many trucks. I remember the 504, because I learned to drive on the 504 diesel.
Unfortunately, Peugeot never made any money in the US and withdrew from the market. It was a great car, with four wheel independent suspension about 10 years before any American car company offered a car with 4-wheel independent suspension and 4 wheel disk brakes. And there was even the oppurtunity to learn how to remove and replace the cylinder head (let's just say the idea of an aluminum head and iron block did not work out as well as some would have liked).
Jeff

They also built trucks. 403 and 404 for sure - not sure of the 504.

There were some in Canada. There were LOTS in Zambia.

Worked good when properly installed with a proper gasket. Worst problem with Peugot in North America was terminal rust.

(...)

You're correct. However, I don't think htey imported them into the US.
Jeff
<Isuzu).

Peugeot made and still makes wonderful cars. The REAL problem with them back in the 70's 80's and early 90's ( my only years of experience with them ) is the ridiculous French engineering. I never meet a mechanic other than one that worked of a dealer that knew how to fix the dammed things. Absolutely nothing was logical by American or other Western European standards. I used to borrow my cousins 504 when I lived in the Caribbean and my Lada was in the shop, which was not to often. However I LOVED the ride on that 504.
Being a true American, and Patriot, if I saw a Peugeot on the streets here in NYC today I would unquestionably and unequivocally spit on the dam drivers door handle and leave a note telling the jeck that owns it to leave my country.
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 14:08:48 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

Canada ( and likely the US)in 1971.58,800 sedans, 168,000 coupes, and 42,800 wagons in the first year of production. 55,800 sedans, 262,700 coupes, and 72,000 wagons the second year.395,792 of all combined the third year (1973), and 452,888 in 1974.
OBVIOUSLY nothing to do with Quality. Never heard of a VEGA being used as any kind of a yardstick by which to measure quality of small cars.

<clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message wrote:

I guess that explains why the Camry is the number one selling car in the US. ;)
mike hunt
<clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message wrote:

Really? Why is that when we attends an old car show we will see many domestic brands as well as many from England, Germany, and even Italy, but rarely see anything from the Japanese except for an occasional 'Z' car or an RX7. If Japanese cars are so good where are all the old cars? When counting car sales you must remember GM and Ford sell many more individual brands than the imports. When comes to total truck sales import are an also ran.
mike hunt

Really then how come there are so many domestics, British, German and Italian car form the 60s and 70s and even the 80s at car shows but hardly any Jap cars?
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

First the cars were not popular at the time except for the VW Beetle. Also the Japanese cars (with the exception of the 240Z) had/have not style, no emotional connection to them. I always think of Japanese cars as appliances, reliable, but nothing to look at and stir your emotions.