Why do my stabilizer bar links keep failing?

'96 Grand Marquis. Was groaning/squeeking when turning the wheel, took it in and had both stabilizer bar links changed, one was broken the other was getting bad. Was fine and quiet for 1 week, but now the same groan is back, and the stabilizer bar link on the right looks like the metal has been bent/stretched.. What should I be looking for to fix this?

I should note that in the past week the car has been driven back and forth to work by me only, a total of -maybe- 80 miles. No potholes or major upsets.

Cheers T

Reply to
Teknical

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Teknical

About the only thing I can see that might do it would be if they are tightening them so tight that the rubber bushings as so squished that there's not enough play to keep from bending the metal link.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I got nuthin'. The only thing that even remotely comes to mind is the sway bar is seized in the frame bushings, but I don't see how that could happen. Are you sure this isn't a rally car or a General Lee stand in ;) If you figure it out, please post back. I'm curious.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Well, as I said first time around ...

"It's the top anti-rollbar mounting bush. I didn't bother to get mine replaced as the noise only happens in hot, dry weather. Replacement cost should be minimal however"

Anyways, it annoyed me, so I went back to the garage. They took it apart, cleaned it up, put it back, some improvment. But the thing is that the mech said "just keep driving, it will go off". And it did! I think leaving the car standing unused for a day or two makes the noise come back. But since I've been using it every day, the noise has gone.

In your case, it sounds like there's somethings seriously misaligned :-(

Al.

Reply to
Al

That's what i figured too, but I can't see anything obvious. I chalked both tires to see if maybe it was hitting something and the power steering was forcing things out of whack, but it's fine. no abnormal tire wear.. I'll have to take it back in, see what they say.

Reply to
Teknical