Why drive a Ford when you can drive a Renault - someone please tell me

Page 1 of 2
We've been importing renaults for over 20 years and they still out-perform fords in everyway.
Can someone please tell me why they would buy a Ford Focus over a
Renault Magane?
James snipped-for-privacy@maguiresgarage.co.uk http://www.maguiresgarage.co.uk
Personal preference? Why do people who buy Dodges not buy Fords?

Maguires Garage opined in

You gotta be kidding!
Renault has had two major pushes into the US market, the second under Chrysler's "Eagle" marque. Both times sales went well at first... then the warrantees ran out.
My kid bought an Eagle Premier (an 18?). First, the manifold to cat pipe rusted out.
Anyone ever see that happen on any other 3 year old car with 55,000 miles? ANY freaking American car, for that matter.
Then snow drifted under the hood and, when he started it, the timing belt jumped and he bent a lot of valves.
Renault builds for driver impression... maintenance wise it has ALWAYS been crap.
Maybe they changed their ways.. but why bother finding out?
The French should stick to Wine, Cheese, Jerry Lewis Film Festivals, and Iraqi/TFE oil certificate trading. I hear they are available at big discounts
says...

The original poster was from the UK.
Guess who mostly own/control Nissan?? Wonder why the new Quest mnivan looks so bizarre?
Andrew Rossmann opined in

I knew that...
I suppose I should have asked where Renault sales were in UK. I knew a Brit Francophile in London who drove an 18... he raved about it but just riding in it a couple times I noted two serious deficiencies.
My guess for the reason people buy Fords instead of Renaults is because if they wanted to walk they would just walk instead of wasting the money buying a car.
MY UNCLE BOUGHT A RENAULT ENCORE WHEN THEY FIRST HIT THE U.S. MARKET AND HE STILL STANDS BY THIS QUOTE...
"AS A GENERAL RULE NEVER DRIVE A RENAULT ANY FURTHER THAN YOU ARE WILLING TO WALK BACK!!"
My European friends all concur!!

(snip)
We just drove a new Megane Scenic in the UK for a few weeks. It was actually pretty okay. It was a bit odd at first to get used to the gear shift not being floor-mounted, the little electronic card that was the "key", the start/stop button for the engine/ignition, and the electronic parking brake that would turn off automatically, but overall it actually seemed to be a pretty neat little car, and we put a fair few miles on it.
Admittedly, I'd not buy one:
(a) The seats were okay for driving, but not so comfy for sleeping in.
(b) The ride was hardly as smooth as it is in my Crown Vic. (-:
Also, I can't think of any friends in the UK who own a Renault.
-- Mark
first: its french, second: looks, third: its french.
wrote:

if
buying

In your opinion of course. Troll.

The Renault Megane is floppy and soggy to drive, it's unreliable, the UK dealer network is a joke, their customer care is even funnier ("you want to complain? Okay. Complain to me" then jack happens about it), its service costs are high, it's repair costs are even higher, oh and have I mentioned that it is hideously ugly? It's not even that well built. Shoot, I can't think of a reason why anybody would buy a Megane aside the steeo discounts needed to get them off the forecourt.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Now that's funny, you should post that in some humor newsgroups.

Regrettably, Renaults are littered all over the UK - but part prices are high, and you need plenty.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

You are almost 2 weeks late for April Fools Day.
really I'm interested to know.
have a look at our site - let me know if you can get a Ford for better value than the Renaults we have and I'll double your discount.
James snipped-for-privacy@maguiresgarage.co.uk http://www.maguiresgarage.co.uk
My God, that Megane Expression is UGLY! Funny, though, it's described as a three-door, when there are two doors visible on one side! I'll bet there are two doors on the other side, too.....

On 10 Apr 2004 03:59:39 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Maguires Garage) wrote:

since you are bringing this up, is it because they aren't selling.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Plugging snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Maguires Garage) into Google groups shows you've been posting under that name for maybe 3 days and spamming dozens of groups with your ads. Go away.
http://www.maguiresgarage.co.uk
1987 Thunderbird TurboCoupe - $2,000 1981 Chevy C10 - $200 250,000 miles

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

If you want constructive, fine. Hint one: STOP THE LIES. It pisses people off. The first four of your posts I came across:
April 9 I've been thinking of grabbing one of the Boxters S's for a while now - for under 40,000 they sound like a steal with that sort of performance.
April 9 For the past year or so we've been importing the Mitsubishi and the Nissan Navara 2.5 double cab for around the same price. I've been thinking of driving one myself and reckon the Mitsubishi beats the Nissan hands down on the road.
April 7 I've heard mixed reports about the new RS Ford Focus does anyone rate it? I had an escort cosworth a few years ago and was considering getting an RS but I'm not too sure.
April 9 I've had one TDI before and that was a Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDI which was nippy enough but didn't do much to excite me. I hear these new A4s are good motors but would love to hear it from somebody that has one? Anybody out there got one? (Note: Subject line said he was considering buying one).