Why is my fuel pump running?

Hi all. Got an '86 Grand Vic that is giving me trouble. The electric fuel pump runs constantly and drains the battery every other day if I leave the battery connected.

I suspect that a relay is stuck (the pump keeps tick-tick-ticking even with the ignition off and the key removed) and I'm wondering if anyone knows where the problem -- or that relay -- might be.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. The car is otherwise quite wonderful.

Marshall

Reply to
M.J. Schuon

My guess is the fuel pump relay is stuck closed, get a new one. Maybe someone on this group can tell you where the relay can be found, or pick up a haynes or chiltons manual that should indicate where to find it (relatively speaking). Same thing happened on my old 1990 Escort GT, new relay fixed it.

Reply to
sleepdog

_______

Thanks. I'll keep looking. Marshall

Reply to
M.J. Schuon

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net says... |On 28 Dec 2006 06:32:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: | |>M.J. Schuon wrote: |>> Hi all. Got an '86 Grand Vic that is giving me trouble. The electric |>> fuel pump runs constantly and drains the battery every other day if I

I had the same problem with an 85 T-Bird. It was a bad power relay, tucked up next to the computer behind the front passenger side kick panel.

Reply to
Steven Stone