Why no help?

Page 1 of 2
Am I asking my questions in a way that offends everyone? I have posted about 2 different issues lately, but have gotten no response. I have tried to be
concise in my wording. Maybe the questions are just stupid. Can I get some insight as to maybe what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
--
J Wald

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.... "

wish I could help, whats the question ? (if I say nothing I don't know the answer)
"gnu / linux" wrote:

Question #1
- Jul 26, 7:39 am - Hello, - My rear AC fan stopped working the other day while in use. When I select - either the rear control or manual control positions I can hear and feel the - the #6 relay tick. I swapped out another relay with no results. Fuse looked - good as well. The actual rear control fan controller has no effect either. - Any ideas? Thanks.
I read it, but I had no ideas, so I didn't answer.
Question #2
- Aug 4, 7:07 pm - My Windstar is giving me fits. It recently began to need a jump at about - every start. I put a meter on the battery when not running and got a - reading of about 10.xx volts. It is the original battery so I replaced it. - The newly installed battery reads about 12.5v not running. When checking - with the engine running I get about 12.02v. I expected the running read - out to be in the 14.v + range. It is with my other vehicles. I ran the - system check in the message center, and it says *charging system ok*. It - seems to me that something is draining the battery. Short of removing the - alternator for diagnostics in a shop, is there anything I can do to check - it here? Any ideas what might be going on? Thanks.
I read it, "Steven N." already answered. I agreed with his agreeing that the voltage should be well above 12.02v when running, and to use a good meter. To avoid cluttering up the Internet any more than it already is, I didn't answer.

Replace the alternator with a new or rebuilt one. one of the diodes has failed.
Steve R.

I had a couple ideas, but wasn't exactly sure, so I thought you'd probably be angry if I told you to replace something and it turned out that I was wrong. It's hard to diagnose something when we don't have the vehicle right in front of us. Sometimes you get exactly what you pay for.
Electrical diagnosis can be extremely hard on many licenced techs... it doesn't get easier for DIYers...
Sidebar... rest assured, if you have offended anyone, the last thing they will do is remain silent.
For your electrical issues on the Windstar - be aware that this vehicle is "top heavy" with electronic control modules. Many times you are not going anywhere without a very talented scan tool.. Also, be aware that many modules will "shut down" when battery voltage reaches a predetermined (preprogrammed) value. You desparately need to repair the charging system issue before attempting any other electrical system repairs.
FWIW, one cannot tell if the concern with the alternator is a "blown diode" without specifically testing the rectifier bridge (this can be done with the engine running using something as simple as a DMM on the AC volts scale). An open field can often be the root cause... but a bad alternator is still a bad alternator....
The alternator on your van is controlled by the PCM.... Now... the most likely cause is the alternator itself.... But without some proper diagnosis, this isn't much different from shooting craps... Check fuses F1.13 (10A) and F1.20 (15A) in the BJB (battery junction box).
Also, check the belt tensioner - I have seen these bind allowing the engine accessories to slip.
Your AC concern... with the charging system concern out of the way, reassess the AC blower. Swapping relays on a Ford can be a fools errand... Many times we find that relays have been "piggybacked"... Swapping a relay can move a bad relay to a different part of the same circuit.... (Hold still..... got your foot in the crosshairs? - good, now squeeze gently).
Lastly... the post that generated these replies looks a tad whiney, doncha think?

Jim Warman wrote:

Welll ... yeah to that side bar kinda ... however I must add that getting killfiled, ignored, deleted, silent what ever is something that happens a lot to little o me.
Soooo ... on the bright side ...
there is always that as a hopeful possibility depending on what you may aspire to.
Latter on I want to be a cheer leader ...
Or maybe a President reading kiddie books.
Have those high apple pie in the sky hopes !!!
sumbuddie not kidding either
:?
You got a major brainaic thingy there Jim Warman ... nice to meet someone like you ... a rare bird I have to say.
Wonderfull write up in reply to help the DIYer on his way to making his life better ... with a little help from you.
I wanna say ... thank you for that.
Just from me. That's all.
Oh ... the favorite whine of mine is "WHERE WE GOING TO DINNER'
There are other favorite ones I have as well.
Just making fun of them ... and taking clinical note, such things come from an adult who suffered from child abuse ... and has not had the love burn through their judgement and expectation.
Making for the resentment and bitterness as you have seen in the languaging as little that is on the emotional scale.
While irksome at times ... I keep asking for more love in being kind, helpful and considerate like you do.
I don't want the irksome part, I don't even want to feel pity for them ... so I go for the high apple pie in the sky hopes in being more adventuresome ... again ... like you.
Nice to meetcha !!!
sumbuddie having a happy day
:?
Jim Warman wrote:

Jim, My post was not meant to be whiney, but I suppose it could be viewed as such. My intent was to get the kind of insightful response that you have given. When this charging issue came up I immediately suspected that perhaps the A/C blower problem might have something to do with the lack of juice coming from the alt. You confirmed my idea as valid. Thank you. I know this type of excellent information is available on this group and I want to be able to tap into it when necessary.
--
J Wald

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.... "
Your post wasn't whiney. This is whiney......."Why won't anyonnnnnne aaannswerr meeeee? Maybe it's a conspiracyyyyyyyyyyyyy. You all hate me don't you? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
JWald wrote:

Jim, The alternator was the culprit. Dead as a doornail. Replaced it and all is well. I'm now getting 14.12v to the battery with engine running. I was also hoping for the rear blower to kick in as well. Not my luck. Any ideas? I do have to say that I think this was, by far, the easiest alternator swap that I've ever done. Thanks.
--
J Wald

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.... "
You're good with electric stuff, maybe you can weigh in on this...
92 Ford Explorer - battery will go dead in a few days. Battery was replaced (free) and alternator was replaced twice (free the second time) and it still goes dead. It's been checked a couple times for current draw when it's completely off and only draws maybe 100 milliamps. When running the voltage at the battery posts is around 13.7.
On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 17:08:46 GMT, "Jim Warman"

Replace both relays for the EEC and fuel pump. They are both located underneath the underhood distribution block. I had the identical symptoms with a 1991 Ranger, as soon as the cold weather hit, it would kill the battery almost overnight. The relays would stick, which in turn would drain the battery overnight. During the warmer seasons, there was still excessive drain on the battery, but not to the point that it would not start the truck, just start harder.
HTH Sharky

I will do that since there seems to be nothing else left to try. they never seem to stick when I'm checking current draw......

-Only- 100 milliamps?
On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 10:19:56 -0500, aarcuda69062

That was from memory. Measured it today and it was 0.2 amps which I believe is 20 mA.

As Jim said, that would be 200ma.
So, is it .020 amps or .2 amps?
Try tapping on the EEC relay with a screwdriver handle while watching the draw on the ammeter. EEC relays had a habit of being flakey back in the early 90s.
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 08:16:20 -0500, aarcuda69062

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 08:16:20 -0500, aarcuda69062

Dang, a typo. It was on the amp scale and had one zero after the decimal. 0.020.